1.25 or 1.42

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by GigaWire, Feb 23, 2003.

  1. GigaWire macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2001
    #1
    so i have a 1.42 on order. shipping by 3/13



    should i can cancel the order, order a 1.25, save $500, and have my computer by end of next week, or wait for the monster?

    i am really torn here, because I have several video projects that i am currently working on @ school, which i'd love to do at home instead. and mainly, that's what the comp will be used for. video, video and more video.

    i've held out for the 970 as long as i could (hoped for jan announce) but i must have a mac now. and will probably sell in a year to upgrade to 970. so which one will best fit this sordid model i have just laid out. all advice is welcome!


    cheers,
     
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

    edesignuk

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2002
    Location:
    London, England
    #2
    If your gonna sell anyway in around a years time to get a 970, I'd save your $500 now, enjoy the benifits your dual 1.25Ghz will give you now. And then when you come to sell and get the 970 spend the real serious $$$ & get yourself a better video card and more memory with the $500 you saved now!!!
     
  3. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2002
    #3
    I say, if you can afford the 1.42, and have ordered it, keep with it. The extra speed would be nice for video as is the double cache. I was thinking of gettin a 1.25 as it is cheaper, but when you spec up the 1.25 with ram and hd and superdrive, it is the $500 difference you spoke of. I decided that as soon as I get the money the 1.42 will be a better buy, and have a higher resale value in a year when you sell it, as it is the top model. Plus, unless you added stuff to the 1.42, it might take longer for a BTO 1.25 with superdrive and such than a "stock" 1.42.
     
  4. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

    DakotaGuy

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2002
    Location:
    South Dakota, USA
  5. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

    Jaykay

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2002
    Location:
    Ireland
    #5
    ---

    The 1.25 is a great machine, i love it anyways.

    .....My precious.....
     
  6. timbloom macrumors 6502a

    timbloom

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2002
    #6
    Get what you can afford really, that $500 difference will turn to about a $100 difference when you are selling it. They are both great machines, and not much difference. You gotta think, is that performance difference, in one year, worth $400. My guess would be no, but that depends on where the money is made in your work.
     
  7. samsflagdrummer macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2003
    #7
    I would say that you should get the dual 1.25
    b/c if u want to use it soon, and if your going to sell it in a year, the wait and the $500 just isnt really worth it. Anyway, is 1.42 as opposed to 1.25 really that big a difference? Especially when there will almost certainly be a new chip coming out this year? I would send the 1.42 back and save your money for the 970.
     
  8. GigaWire thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2001
    #8
    thought about it thought about it, and i think i just may keep the comp 2 years, and i think the 1.42 is good for that. The 1.25 is impressive, but not completely. I mean it's right on the edge. i think the 1.42 will get there. Also, since its likely to be the last power tower G4, it will probably fetch collector's prices when i finally do go to sell it :)

    thanks for all the input guys!

    cheers
     
  9. Bear macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Sol III - Terra
    #9
    Also, the 1.42 has 2 MB of L3 cache per processor whereas the 1.25 only has 1 MB per processor. This could make for a performance boost in the type of work you are doing.

    And anyway, you've already done all this waiting. So what is another couple of weeks.
     
  10. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

    FelixDerKater

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2002
    #10
    If you can afford the 1.42, I would go for it. If not, then go for the 1.25 with maxed RAM.
     

Share This Page