1.25GB of ram enough for my iMac 1.8?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Willy S, May 20, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    Is there much real world difference between 1.25 and 2GB of ram? I will occationally use Photoshop and iMovie.

I´m thinking of buying a crucial 1 or 2 1GB sticks. I´m also saving for a second mac to replace my pc so I will have to wait a bit longer for my second mac if I buy 2GB of ram.

2. macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    In a Mauve Dream
    Hey Willy

Yes, for what you describe 1 GB should be sufficient. I bought my iMac G5 with a 1GB stick and it handled PS and iMovie extremely well. I then started doing more intensive things (working from home) so I placed another 1GB stick and off we went! My iMac is cruising along just fine with the bigger files (200-300 MB Illustrations and Photoshop files).

What might be more beneficial than the RAM at first, might be a reliable FW external hard drive. PS works best with a scratch disk that is not your boot drive, and if you really get into iMovie, your internal HD will fill up fast.

Cheers and Welcome!

PS: Don't be scared by my avatar. I am not evil... well, sometimes I am but I'm sorry! :(
  3. macrumors 6502

Feb 9, 2005
    Basically what you are asking is:
    'can I read my book from a desk or do I need something larger to view all content?'
  4. macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    For what you need, 1 GB or 1.25 GB is plenty. You won't notice a huge difference if you move to 2 GB, so I would say it's not worth the money for an upgrade. If you get more into video edting, etc., it might become more relevant, but for now, I wouldn't worry about it.