1.25gb RAM vs 2gb RAM in the Macbook...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jabooth, May 26, 2006.

1. jabooth macrumors member

Feb 28, 2006

Here's the sitation:-

Macbooks due for delivery some point next week (ordered 2.0ghz white no bto) and I definately going to upgrade the RAM.

I know there is some realllly cheap memory out there, but from what I've heard Macs can be quite fussy, so I'll probably go with Crucial (UK).

Now, do I order one stick of 1gig or two?

I know matched pairs make only like 3% difference, but will I notice the difference between 1.25gig and 2gig?

I will be using video editing apps quite heavily, and other high level stuff (ps when it goes ub)

I could afford 2 sticks, but if I just got one that money could go to something else... :(

Please, post your thought people.
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Video editing, Photoshop? Get 2 Gb
    Single best investment for pro graphics, video and audio production.
  3. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

Feb 22, 2006
    East Coast, US
    For PhotoShop, Office, and other Rosetta apps, the more RAM the better.

Here's another question:
    Which is better on a MacBook: 1.25GB (1GB+256MB) or 1GB (512MBx2 matched pairs)
  4. jabooth thread starter macrumors member

Feb 28, 2006
    Erm... been doing some more reading and the general concensous seems to be 1.25GB. Matched pairs bring very little performance difference.

Looks like 2GB for me then!

That Dell 24"er will have to wait... :rolleyes:
  5. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2006
    Matched pairs makes more of a difference when integrated graphics is taken into account...at least when doing 3D stuff like games. Typically graphics need all the memory bandwidth they can get, which is likely why they only sell them in matched pairs. If you don't use 3D typically, then more RAM will likely be more beneficial.
  6. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2006
    Sad 'cause the Dell 24" displays are on sale right now... I'm looking to pick one up myself.
  7. danny_w macrumors 601

Mar 8, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Yes, I believe that even Apple states that you should always use matched pairs with a Macbook because of the integrated graphics. Supposedly the graphics will take a big hit without the matched pairs. Does anybody know for sure? I asked in another thread (they were getting 2 1GB sticks) if they could install only one at first, and then both sticks, and compare the two situations. I don't think they ever responded.
  8. TallShaffer macrumors member

Apr 14, 2006
    I used mine at 2x256, ran wow at middle settings... very disappointing, barely playable.

I then removed a 256 and added a 1 GB, HUUUUUGE jump in performance. Now I can run at low-mid settings at perfect performance, middle-high at fair performance.

I'm saving for another 1 GB, just don't feel like spending too much at once, gonna get the 20" iMac later this year when new OS/new chips come out.
  9. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2006
    There are benchmarks around (for the mac mini), but I don't remember where I saw them.

Even so, 1.26GB would be better in the short term than 512MB anyway...512MB just doesn't seem to be enough these days (especially when using PPC apps). Going to 1.26GB first, and then 2GB later is probably the best bet.