1.25GHz G4 vs. 1.6GHz G5 - is it worth $750 more?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by lewdvig, Nov 8, 2003.

1. lewdvig macrumors 65816

this is CDN dollars of course.

The G4 is $1799 + $250 for a superdrive

The G5 is $2799

What do you guys think? Is the G5 1.6GHz crippled, will it really outperform the G4 enough to warrant the price difference?

The only place I think that I will really notice the difference is in games, but I have a 3.36Ghz P4 sitting next to me with a 9800XT in it. As much as I want to play games on the Mac, I really should use the P4 for that.

2. johnnowak macrumors 6502

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

what will you be using it for?

I do think the G5 will outperform the G4, but I'm not sure if it's worth that much more.

4. evil macrumors 6502

yeah for real. what ar eyou doing with it.
    i just bought my self a nice superdrive emac for 1250 CDN student price.

i actually even use it with fianl cut express and its good enough for me

5. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Depends on usage!

It totally depends what you will be using it for. It sounds like you're a gamer, but will be using your PC for that, so if that's the case, I wouldn't worry too much about going the G4 route. If I were to go to a G5, I would probably recommend the 1.8 GHz over the 1.6 GHz, to technically get the most bang for your buck (without spending the big $$$ on a dual 2.0!) and then of course you'd be looking at a lot more money.

If you need to do intense video editing or similar tasks (i.e. Power user tasks), then I'd say get the G5. If you're just going to be doing the everyday things (using Office, e-mail, Internet, even audio editing/DVD authoring) I think the G4 would be fine for your needs.

My friend has a G4 PowerBook which only has a 450 MHz processor and 256 MB RAM. It's 2.5 years old and still runs everything he needs, and without being sluggish. And of course, Panther made it even faster. ;) So even though the G4 may not be top of the line anymore, you need to ask yourself "What do I really need it for?", and then realize that it will no doubt last you for years to come. :)

Cheers,
    Scott

7. Lain.v2 macrumors newbie

If you think the price difference between the single and dual G4 is warranted by the performance increase, then so is the G5s.

If u looking for value for money in the G4 market, I would suggest an eMac since they just recently lowered the prices, which really means you are getting a SuperDrive for free.

Value for money is a personal thing, it depends on what you value and how much value and time you can afford.