1.25GHz PB or not?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Alex AMG, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Alex AMG macrumors newbie

I am buying a new Apple laptop and can't decide which one.

I like and can afford a PB 15" (1.25), but I do keep the laptop on my lap a lot.
    I played with a 12" PB for about a week and the thing gets hot. I mean HOT! It does burn the h*ck out of my n*ts.

I like the new iBook G4 for its durable case and heat blocking capabilities, but can't retire the option of having a 15" PB. It's like having an expensive toy that I will only use for internet surfing, email, occaisional Photoshop, FrameMaker and other minor things.

So, the question. Does the new 1.25GHz PB heat as much as the 12" one? Is there any difference in heat radiation bewteen the 1GHz and 1.25GHz machines? Does the optional quicker spinning HD heat more than a stock one?

So, the decision is iBook G4 with all options or 15" PB 1.25GHz.

Also, shall I wait till the end of January to make a purchase? Doesn't Apple usually annouce the so-called after-xmas sales?

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Well, the only after xmas sale is MWSF

The 15" might see a price reduction or even a slight improvement...somewhere.

If you are longing for the powerbook that much, you may kick yourself again and again if you "settle" for an iBook. For a fistful of dollars more, you can have your precious'.

Either way, wait until after January 6th to see what happens at MWSF.

3. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

and yes, the faster spinning HD may be a tiny bit hotter, but not much.

I've heard the 15" aren't as hot as the 12" - more room to dis it out.

4. entropy1980 macrumors regular

entropy1980

My 15 is nowhere near as hot my 12" was...still gets warm, but if you have clothes on shouldn't be a problem:)

5. Alex AMG thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I agree. And although it is a laptop, that doesn't mean you can't wear clothes. I got into SO MUCH trouble at work once for that.

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The iBook is a nice machine, and the Powerbook is a sicknasty machine. If you are looking for good portability, and impact resistance, go with the iBook , if you want something more refined, fast and smooth, like a fine leather, or a Porsche, then go with the powerbook. You won't be sorry either way.

8. jevel macrumors regular

I use the 15" PB, and it gets HOT! When I do compiling, I´ve had the fans go on, and the back of the machine is so hot I´ll bet I could do a toast on it :)

But with normal "lapuse", that being web, mail and stuff like that, it stays a pleasing "warm" ;)

-KJ

9. Alex AMG thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the replies.
    I think I will be upgrading to a 1.25GHz PB in the middle of January! Can't wait.