1.25Ghz UT2k4

Discussion in 'Games' started by TrenchMouth, Jan 8, 2005.

1. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

I am pretty much a huge UT fan. I still play GotY on my 500Mhz iBook, but lately have been playing 2k4 on my friends wintel machine. I am thinking about getting a used iMac, or possibly waiting to see if this "headless" iMac materializes.

What I would like to know is if anyone here has attempted to run it on a machine of roughly that power, and how well it runs. I installed the demo on my sisters 800Mhz iMac and it was rather abismal. I figured that was a combo of the rather slow G4 and the really antiquated MX card.

Also, how much of a performance gain does one get from the various patches that have been released? Thanks for any help on this matter. I looked for a similar thread but did not find one. Not that i searched for that long...

So yeah, in short; will UT2k4 run "well" on a 1.25Ghz G4 with a quasi-decent GPU? If it doesn't...I could see myself waiting another 6 months or so till the next revision of the iBook becomes availible. I can wait if need be.

2. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Put it this way, i have the nvidia gforce fx 5200 with 128 of dedicated video ram, 512 memory running at 400, an amd 1800+ processor and a western digital 120 gig hard drive running at 7200 rpms. I STILL dont run ut2004 perfectly i still have lags every once in a while in single player mode. I dont care what anyone tells you, that game needs some serious hardware to run well and a 1.2 g4 isnt gonna cut it dude. ;)

3. TrenchMouth thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, i figured as much. the wintel machine i was running it on had a 2700+ 768 of pc3200 and a 9600/128 and it still didnt run perfect. but it would be nice to run it at an acceptable rate. say 1024 with stuff on med and get about 25fps or greater

i need to get a demo unit to try it out on.

4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I completely disagree, I used to run it smooth on a 1GHz 15" powerbook. No problems. You just shouldn't expect to have it at 1600x1200 with all the bells on.

5. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Once again you gave false information.

My 1ghz powerbook (rev b) with 32 megs of ram. runs good with settings turned down. You will have no problems with the headless imac.

kyle

6. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

The updates make a big difference, especially the first one which corrected a sound bug. Definitely install them.

AppleMatt

7. ddtlm macrumors 65816

I recommend picking up a pair of thick, rose-colored glasses to go with the iMac. ;)

8. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I installed UT2k4 on an eMac at CompUSA. Now, other than taking a LONG time to load (only 256MB of Ram) I found that the game ran much better than I thought it would. Much, much better.

In other words, I think you'll do just fine.

Run at about 800x600 or 1024x768 at Medium.

Remember, most people can't tell the difference between Medium and High anyway.

9. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I wish i could slap you, but you live in another state so slap yourself ;)

10. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

how many updates are there?

do you think you could post a link to them?

11. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

12. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

My 1.4GHz G4 gives me a solid 8fps in Onslaught maps. You call that good performance?

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

that is because the fx 5200 completely sucks compared to the ultra this is due to the non ultra's haveing 64-bit memory compared to the ultra's 128-bit, the non ultra is about the speed of a geforce 2 MX :eek:.

go get a decent card.

14. tom.96 macrumors regular

Yes. Should be OK.

I actually had it playing on a PM 867 with a 32mb geforcemx2 card, about 640mb ram. It was playable on low settings (the map I tried anyway.) I would imagine on a more powerful machine it would be fine.

Please note though-my definition of 'fine' might vary from yours. I don't mind playing games on lower settings.

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have a 1.25 G4 with a 64 MB Radeon 9000 Pro, and UT2004 runs 'well enough.' I'm not that much of a gamer though, so take my advice with a grain of salt etc.

16. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I can never understand why people bad mouth UT2004 on slower G4 machines. If you have a reasonable graphics card you will get reasonable performance. It runs fine on my Rev A 17in Powerbook, the biggest problem is with the crappy graphics card apple put in that machine. I've tried the game on the latest powerbooks with the ATI 9700 and it runs like a peach and looks damn good even on the 64mb 1.3GHz base 15in. I have found in general that a lower spec PC will run the game better (certainly RAM is less of a factor) than a mac but this is more to do with the porting. Any new mac (even the eMac's) will run UT2004 to a good enough standard to make it enjoyable just make sure you have a big dollap of RAM.