1.25gig g4 mdd vs 1.25gig 15inch g4 PB

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by andyjamesnelson, Sep 17, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502

Aug 24, 2003
    Jacob's house
    hi i really want to get a laptop.. still i would need to sell me desktop.. its a single 1.25gig mdd g4.. what i'm wondering is , would my desktop kick the laptops ass? am i only going to face a massive speed and performance drop if i swap over to the laptop? right now i'm using me com for video and audio work, yet i want to take this work live so i need a laptop. yet if the laptop cannot really take the strain maybe i will just get the 12inch and keep me desktop.. or maybe i will just brake the bank and get the 15inch anyway.. still i really would like to know the performance difference between the two machines.. if you can help me please do, thanks andy.
  2. macrumors 65816

Apr 10, 2003

buying advice is hard to give. check out test results at

at the very bottom, they compare the 15 to some desktops (albeit, the g4 desktop is a 1.42 dual, which can still hold it's own against the g5's).

Basically, you'll take a performance hit. I wouldn't expect it to be horrible, but if you really need to know, hop yourself over to an apple store or an apple retailer and toss one around for a little bit - see what it can do compared to what you can do with your mdd... nothing beats hands on...

3. acj
    macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2003
    The most notable difference may be disc access. 7200RPM vs 5400 or 4200 for the laptop.
  4. t^3
    macrumors regular

Oct 17, 2001
    What about getting an external HD for the laptop? Would this help even the difference?