1.2Ghz 12" iBook performance questions.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Hodapp, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

I'm looking at buying either a Rev C. 12" PowerBook, or a 1.2Ghz 12" iBook as a gift for my girlfriend. She would use it for general internet stuff, web browsing, iPhoto, lots of Garage Band, a little iMovie, and to play The Sims. Is an iBook enough machine for that? I'm concerned with the older GPU and its performance in The Sims, as well as whether or not Tiger with Core Image will be as good as it can be.

Also, Garage Band can kind of kick the crap out of my 17" PowerBook, I'm wondering if an iBook can take it. Hmm.

What do you guys think?

2. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I use to use GarageBand on a 1Ghz eMac, it was doable. As for Tiger, somebody else can answer that.

But for what she is going to use it for should be fine. I do most of those things on this 1Ghz iBook no problem.

3. Loki.Mephisto macrumors regular

Germany / Austria - Mozart, no Kangaroos!
    GarageBand needs some quick HD. GarageBand denied running on my PB 17" 1,33, stating the HD is too slow (HD is standard with 4200 rpm).

Just fyi

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I haven't used GarageBand in-depth (yet), and I haven't played the Sims on my 1.2 12" iBook, but everything else runs fine. I maxed out the RAM though, so I would definitely recommend that.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

If she wants to use GarageBand, either max it out with RAM (you will still be disappointed with the performance), or buy a 12" PB.

I had a friend that was just looking at the 12" iBook and decided by the time he made it usable for his needs, the PB was a better deal - if you can afford it.

I've used GB a couple of times on the 1.2 12" and it is dog slow.

6. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

Garageband is slow on ANY Mac.

Get the ibook and up the RAM as much as possible. Unless you're doing solely music stuff you won't miss any of the Powerbook's differences.

7. Hodapp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

I ended up getting a Rev D. 12" PB with 1gb of RAM. Should be golden.

8. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I think you made the best choice. The newer PB's with the fast harddrives and extra ram will really help. As you can see in my sig, I have 1Ghz 12'' it and does Garageband well enough for me. I don't do a lot mic recording, I only do MIDI stuff from my keyboard and use loops. I never really notice any bogging of the system. I usually have about 6-7 different tracks going at once and it still works fine.

9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Seriously?

It did? That's weird, it ran just fine on my 17" rev b (1.33 with 1gig of ram). It wasn't as nice as, say a G5 with a ton of ram, but it did multiple tracks more than decently.