1 30" Display vs 2 23" Displays

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by swiftaw, Jun 2, 2005.

1. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Just out of curiosity, if money was of no concern, which would you prefer, 1 30" Cinema Display or Dual 23" Cinema Displays? Any particular reason why?

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Although it would be nice to have a 30" display (or two :D), I think having dual 23" displays would give you more screen real estate than a single 30" display.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

30-inch all the way! Sure, I'd probably be more productive on two 23-inch displays but the 30-inch one is just so bew-di-ful.

4. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I would go for the 30 inch for sure. Two 23 inch displays seems kinda weird to me. Actually, I've never heard of anyone doing that. They either go for the 2 20 inch displays or the 30.

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Well guess I'm the only one who think dual 23" is better than single 30" :(

Even though it wasn't a choice take a look at some dual 30" displays:

[​IMG]

Now that's sweet! :D

6. zach macrumors 65816

zach

I'd go for the two 23". The 30" is actually almost too big for me to use, dual 23" works far better for me than 30".

Of course, I'd still want dual 30" more than anything :D

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hmm... So if one 30 inch screen is too big for you, wouldn't two be worse? :confused:

8. apple_g5 macrumors member

apple_g5

9. Devie macrumors 6502a

I'd take the two 23".
    The 30" would be damn sweet for a little while, but I'd get ovet it, and annoyed by it having to move my entire head to see the corner of the screen (but no way in hell I would complain having it ;) )

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

When will it stop? When will we reach a screen size that is adequate? Is there a need for a screen larger than 30 inches? Will screens just keep getting bigger and bigger?

11. iGary Guest

iGary

As long as pro video applications keep getting bigger and digital cameras get bigger sensors, yup.

12. efoto macrumors 68030

It is a bit annoying that one cannot view a full-res shot of an image captured with modern cameras, a real drag IMO however to capture full-res would take a very large monitor.

As iGary said, as long as peripherals continue to grow, the screens will too.

13. efoto macrumors 68030

My friend has dual 20" (dell 2001fp) and they look quite nice side-by-side, better than another friends 24" widescreen (phillips?) monitor. I'm not sure what makes it this way, but I think dual 23s would come out better in the long run than a single 30. Money aside as you stated, if you had to move your computer somewhere temporarily, taking a single 23 with you would be much easier than the 30, plus if you have portables or you want to be an awesome friend and loan a 23 to someone with a portable when they come over, you can do it....you can't on the 30.

14. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Agree.....more screen space and have dual displays is just a tad better since you have more width ;)

15. lordmac macrumors regular

The 30 inch screen because of its raw sexyness. And so you can say to people I have a 30 incher, how big is yours. ;) :) . Plus with 2 screens you need to have a powermac (to have the multiple outputs), but with the 30 incher you can run it with a 15 inch or 17 powerbooks. 30 incher is the way to go. :) :D Plus oh god its just sooo sexy. :)

16. gangst macrumors 6502a

17. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

18. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I'd take the single 30" LCD. Doing video work with SD-resolution DV, I'd love to have to have my canvas windows at full-res in Final Cut using the standard layout. :)

19. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Dual 23" - 4.6Mp
    Single 30" - 4.1Mp - not a huge difference eh!?

Considering even cheap digicams are now going up to 5Mp and over, it must be slightly annoying for graphic designers not to be able to view in native resolution for photos.
    Hell, the Nikon D2x has a 12Mp sensor!

20. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Ill take a 15'' CRT over both.

Just kidding.

I'd take the 30''. Just for the fact that you can only have the dock on one screen.

21. RAS admin macrumors regular

RAS admin

I have a 30". It works great for everything I do. desktop publishing, photoshopping, video post-production... Now that I've had it for 8 months, I don't know how I could ever live without it. Oh yeah, it works great for watching DVD's while lying in bed 10 feet away...

22. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Well if a 15" CRT is a choice then.... nah I think I would still choose the 30"

23. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Both setups are massive overkill for my needs. If I had to pick I'd take two 23-inchers. But then I'd run them on two separate computers: one in the kitchen and one in the office.

24. NtotheIzoo macrumors regular

I totally agree w/ u...i'd take 2 23's...nah..i'd acutally take 2 20's...just so I can say I roll on dubs :D