1.33 GhZ enough or go with 1.5 for audio editing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by whw5, May 20, 2004.

1. whw5 macrumors regular

I am going to be getting a new 15 in pb soon and it will be a combo drive. Is 1.33 ghz enough to do some pretty graphics intensive gaming and heavy audio editing with garage band? Or Should I go with the 1.5 with 128 mb graphics card? I expect to be playing games such as halo. I am going with the fastest hard drive speed on either one. Any help is grealy appreciated

2. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I have the 1.33Ghz version and it is perfectly fine for gaming (but you have to put the resolution down on some games, for example 1024x768 in UT2004). Although the only games I have tried are UT2003, Worm3D (which runs with AA) and Warcraft 3.

For audio apps, just make sure you have enough RAM. Mine came with only 256 and I found I had to quickly upgrade it to 512MB or I would get slow downs in GarageBand.

If you can afford the 1.5Ghz version, then go for it. But if you get the faster hard disk, remember that it will also drain the battery quicker.

But if your main aim is gaming, you would probably be better off with a PC laptop.

3. whw5 thread starter macrumors regular

I am not just concerned in gaming. More in video and audio with ocassional gaming. I have a 20 inch imac for anything really hard-core

4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-whw5

With A/V anymore it's all about the RAM. The raw architeture of any Mac box this melinnium has had the juice - you just need the RAM.

As for the HD, it might be good to go for a larger disk cache rather that spindle speed. You get the same results, but longer battery time.