1.33GHz iBook vs. 1.33GHz Powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cza82, Aug 31, 2005.

1. cza82 macrumors newbie

Hi all!,
    I have a question, I'm in the market for a new laptop. I've been planning on getting a new 12 inch ibook with my educational discount and getting a free ipod mini :). My problem is, I was recently presented with the option of getting a used, but in great condition (+ still under warranty for a little while), 12 inch powerbook. The prices will be pretty similar (maybe even cheaper for the powerbook, minus the ipod mini). Both laptops will come with combo drives and 512mb ram. Just wondering what everyone thinks about which laptop to chose, and wanting to hear some input in order to make my decision. Thanks all.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

iBook will have longer warrantee but otherwise, I'd say the PowerBook is probably a slightly better buy. :)

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd get the iBook simply because it's newer and you get a free iPod Mini. So basically, the PB does cost more because you don't get to have an iPod Mini with the PB.

For most users, the only things that are better about the PB is the slightly better screen, and the much better keyboard. There's also things like the faster front-side bus in the PB, but they're both too slow anyway, so the difference isn't going to be huge.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't want to delve into this too much, but isn't the screen exactly the same? I'm more than happy to be proved wrong though. :)

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

the ibook has a faster graphics card, unless the slightly smaller size/wieght is importent to you or the asthetics get the ibook.

6. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Will you be doing a lot of work with your notebook connected to an external monitor? The PowerBook is more flexible in this regard (it has a DVI output, can do proper screen spanning, isn't limited to external resolutions of 1024x768, and can operate in lid-closed mode with an external keyboard and mouse). Otherwise there isn't much in it. I think the 1.33GHz PowerBook came with a 60GB HDD, whereas the 1.33GHz iBook only has a 40GB HDD as standard. That may also be a factor, but then again you aren't getting a full warranty or an iPod. Swings and roundabouts...