$1.4 trillion deficit is actually closer to $7.4?!?!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 15, 2003.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

http://www.msnbc.com/news/959467.asp

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

zim, shouldn't the thread tile read "deficit", rather than "budget"?

Contrarians have been yowling for over a decade about the overall income vs. spending problems the U.S. government has gotten itself into. This is nothing new.

Rescinding the Bush tax cuts would make up some ten percent of the projected deficit? Whoopie.

Congress has been buying votes with various bennies for eons, really going bonkers on the coattails of LBJ's Great Society programs. Times get hard, and it's difficult to get folks to not have their noses in the corn crib, so up go taxes. Working folks then get seriously POed, taxes go down, but Congress keeps on keeping on, finding new programs to fund--and the cycle repeats.

TANSTAAFL.

I figure TPTB will sorta muddle through, but I don't see any signs of any politically acceptable "solution" that will make things all warm and snuggly. It just looks to me like things are still on their way downhill, economically.

I could in no way have put it into words, back in the 1970s, but I've long felt that this sort of stuff was coming. I didn't have any specifics, of course. I reworked my own little piece of the world for minimizing the negative impacts on me and mine, and I guess that's about all anybody can do. If things get "all better", I'm quite okay; if they don't, I won't be destroyed. Damfino...

'Rat

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

d'rat -- many of your arguments lately boil down to "it's always been this way and it's no worse than it ever was."

i don't buy it.

and the $1.4/7.4 trillion numbers aren't the budget. it's the sum of 10 years of deficits.

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Naw, it's "It's been coming for a long time, but nobody would believe me when I said so." (Or, "them" when "they" said so.)

Some of the "always been that way" has indeed always been that way, and folks either only recently started paying attention, or are young enough not to know history. Some of it's worse; some of it's no worse. Varies with the subject.

You gotta remember I've been listening to various gloom/doom predictions for a long time, whether economic collapse or environmental nightmare of some sort or nuclear holocaust or suchlike, and it just hasn't happened yet. We keep muddling through, and while stuff never gets that final fix common to TV shows, things never go totally to Hell, either.

FDR didn't destroy the country, nor did LBJ or Reagan. Russia didn't nuke us and we didn't nuke Russia. There's as much or more good hunting and fishing as long ago, even if it costs a bit more for access. Social Security checks still come in the mail, and the mailman still makes his rounds. And it takes fewer hours of work to buy food or clothing than in the past. Gasoline, too. And cars last longer.

Overall, I'm strongly of the belief that there's a lot of stuff that needs improving. I just don't get all excited about unending "daily chores" that will always be with us. I just figure that some perspective on some issues holds down a bunch of heavy breathing and emoting at length.

Just 'cause you get excited and all exercised over some peccadillo doesn't mean I gotta.

I didn't know I'm supposed to agree with everything that folks think, here. Or get all excited and run in circles...

But if you add up that total deficit with the present National Debt and the present unfunded liabilities of the U.S. Government, are you made somewhat nervous about the long-term future stability of the currency?

:), 'Rat

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

????

when bush took office, the projected 10-year surplus was > $5 trillion. maybe we can blame bush for taking that estimate as fact when he "spent" it all.

nice $12 trillion swing in 2 1/2 years.

and some people want to recall gov. davis...

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I enjoyed reading your philosophy on life and such. I suspect we're both grayer around the temples then most in these parts and have heard more then our share of wolf-crying over the years. So no, I don't expect great gaps to open in the earth's crust to open and swallow us up. But I do know that we're making choices here, between things like providing health care to Americans or rebuilding Iraq's economy; between low interest rates that support economic growth and the federal government being the biggest borrower in the credit markets. This stuff does matter, if only in the margins. It's worth having an opinion about it.

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

To hell with the recall; I want a refund.

I'm with the majority that voted for the other guy, y'know...

There's another word for Desertrat's "it's always been that way and..."isms.

I'd call it "defeatism."