1.42Ghz eMac G4 and a WD Ext. HD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by LarryC, Oct 13, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Hello everyone. Thank you for reading my post. I have an older G4 with a 160GB HD that is mostly full. I purchased an external HD made by Western Digital. It has both Firewire and USB as options to connect to my computer and I chose the Firewire option. I would love to be able to put all of my iTunes library on the external drive. This is about 90GB. I realize that I could simply use the external HD as a backup, but what I'd really love to do is put everything except the OS (which is 10.5.8). Can I do this? And, if so, how?

I realize that this might be a kind of long and painful thing to try to explain, so if someone could simply send me to an article on how to do this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you, in advance, for any replies.

P.S. The external drive is a 1TB size and it formats out to 930.5GB without and partitions.

2. macrumors G5

spinnerlys

iTunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Media folder

On the 1TB/932GB issue:

3. macrumors 6502

Thank you for replying to my post. I wasn't complaining about the actual size of the HD. I know that it is always less than the advertised capacity. Although, I have to admit that I did not realize that it will always be approximately seven percent.

4. macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

that should answer your question , and yes it will take a while to move 90gb

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1449

after you done that you got 90gb less on the 160 gb harddrive and a itunes library as big as 1tb if you wish

if you wish it to be partitioned , just open applications - ultilities- disc utility - select your external drive and partition it (apple journaled extended)

ok you did not want a backup , but i would create a small backup partition of 160gb , because f you do the backup with carbon copy cloner and because its a firewire external it would be bootable too so no worry's if the internal fails one day ;)