1:45am NYC Apple Store Road Trip-BIG LET DOWN

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BestBuyBoy, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BestBuyBoy macrumors member

BestBuyBoy

:( A bunch of us were sitting around the dorm depressed because most of the place is off on spring break where it is warm. At 10:30pm we decided to hit the NYC store because we heard it is open for business 24/7. So we departed Boston for the road trip down 95. We arrived in the city at around 1:30am and bee lined it to the Apple Store. All was well as we descended down the glass staircase. The glass is so clean that you could easily walk right into the elevator door. We got down to the store level and we thought the NYC janitors union was having it's annual awards dinner or something. The place was deserted aside from 15 guys cleaning glass and buffing the concrete floor. I saw 10 apple employees wearing black shirts doing pretty much nothing. I asked an employee why all the computers had a screen shot of a padlock with "all computers are locked as we are updating"... I asked an employee when the updating would be over. She said that they aren't really open all night for surfing or playing with them, but if you want to buy one they could get you one.... What a waste of time. If your going to bill yourself as a 24/7 store, maybe you should tell people not to swing by at 2am because there wont be a computer that you can play with.... Very disappointed Apple..:(

2. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

you drive from boston to NYC to visit the apple store?

get a life!

3. BestBuyBoy thread starter macrumors member

BestBuyBoy

Get a life? From the guy who lives in Boston.. :confused: Ah yeah... I'm in Boston only because it's where my college is... In terms of getting a life.. why the hell do you think we go to NYC.. Boston is so snooty.. too many blue bloods for me..... NYC Rules!

4. bartelby macrumors Core

So you went to the store and it was quiet and they were updating stuff?

Does this mean you should attack other members for finding it vaguely amusing?

5. BestBuyBoy thread starter macrumors member

BestBuyBoy

Attack? If you think my two replies are "attacks" then I think maybe you better stay in the house today and not get on the bus.... I think I am just responding in kind... or is this not the "Apple Way"? I guess I should go put on my Burkenstocks, hold a flower and be passive when I fell like I am bing slammed.. Nope.. that aint me.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

That would be rather disappointing to show up at an advertised time of business and not be able to play with the computers. :(

7. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I'm with the OP on this one. Apple does make that store out to be like a party store with its 24/7 hours. It should act appropriately.

8. shecky Guest

shecky

i find it funny that of all the things to do in NYC for a bunch of college guys, they went to an apple store.

"hey, lets go to NYC!"

"what for? music? art? restaurants? strip clubs? culture?"

"no... to go play with computers we already own! only we can do it in NYC!"

but its true, apple does make it sound like some kind of mecca; too bad you got hosed.

9. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i don't think it's billed to be a "party store," a place where one can just walk in and surf the web at three in the morning. what would really upset me is if there wasn't a genius on staff, because i'd think that would be the best use of the apple store in the wee hours of the night. computer troubles with a morning deadline and an apple genius to save the day.

10. bartelby macrumors Core

If they're open 24/7 they have to update/maintain stuff at some point!
    Why not at 2am when the store must be pretty much empty of customers and the only customers they're likely to get are already Apple users who don't really need to try out machines.

11. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

12. shecky Guest

shecky

around 4 hours, maybe a little less. i have done Providence, RI to the village door-to-door in 2:45 but it was at 2AM midweek - no traffic.

13. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

Thats exactly what i thought. Kids these days.
    :D

14. NightStorm macrumors 68000

I had the exact same thought as soon as I finished reading the original post... maybe they should have done it during "normal" business hours when the store is likely to see the most traffic. :rolleyes:

If they did that, I'm sure we'd see a lot more complaints like this one here.

15. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Last year I flew out to NYC to go to the glass cube. Man it was fun hanging out from 5 pm to 2 am in the morning in one straight session!

16. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Cupertino is the true :apple:Mecca. ;)

17. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

well, i meant going to the apple store. nothing against NYC. but there are much better things to do during spring break then going to the apple store and being "let down".

18. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

And I thought walking from on end of Oxford Street to the other just to see the AppleTV was geeky... :eek:

19. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

Exactly... now if it went more like "we went to NYC and as the night was winding down we stopped at the apple store..."

20. homeward macrumors member

Totally agree

I agree. A shoe store can't claim to be open if the doors are open but you can't try on the shoes. The whole spirit of Apple-style retailing is that you go to an Apple store for the experience of being there and of briefly living in the wonder world of total-Apple. It's not a shopping trip. NY Apple Store should not advertise that it is 24/7 if you can't get the total Apple experience 24/7.

21. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah but at least it's more productive than going down to the Big Easy and getting wasted there. :rolleyes:

22. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I've been to that store at 2 am and there was nothing like that going on. It was busy, everything was available to try, and music was playing and it was fairly busy for 2 am. I think you just caught a bum night. Though I would say maybe they should have waited till 3 or 4 to do it so that it's at a time when the least # of people might come in.

23. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

To anyone who doubts Apple touts the NYC store as a "party destination" - have you been there?

Because when you step in, there's a black board advertising the midnight DJ apperances, they've got colorful flyers for some of the early AM events that take place there, etc.

It feels more like a dance club than a retail location.

(That being said, I still think the OP's experiences was rather amusing...)

24. Gasu E. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

Some of the most important things I learned in college were learned outside the classroom.

So I hope you picked up the life lesson in this little tale:

"Always call ahead."

Especially if you're going to drive five hours to get there.

25. Squidly macrumors member

Squidly

Yeah, I'd have called ahead.

But like the road-trip, that wouldn't have been a very college-student-like thing to do.

It's not a complete wash, because with these college road-trips, the stories you tell afterwards
    are 90% of the fun.

Like the time we road-tripped to Canada to buy some "high-alcohol" beer and spent 4 hours getting grilled at the border on the way back. Good times. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.