1.4ghz Desktop v. 1.5ghz PBook v. 1.33ghz PBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BigEvan23, Jun 17, 2004.

1. BigEvan23 macrumors member

BigEvan23

I currently have a Sawtooth G4 with the following specs:
    1.4 Ghz Apollo G4 w/100mhz bus
    1GB Ram
    Deskstar 120gb HD @7200RPM w/8MB buffer
    Radeon 9800 Pro 128

I am happy with the performance of the machine but I am also looking for a new powerbook. I figure now is as good a time to buy as any considering WWDC won't be offering much new for the pbook line. So with the G5 not happening anytime soon Im looking at these two options:

12 Inch----v.-----15 Inch
    1.33Ghz (167) -------1.5Ghz (167)
    728mb Ram----------1GB Ram
    80gb 5400-----------80gb 5400
    FX 5200 64mb--------Rad 9700 128
    Combo---------------Combo

(Extra 512 ram comes from Crucial at 116 dollars-same module for each)
    Total Cost with EDU discount

$1628 v. $2466

I will be using this machine for mostly basic applications a game of Halo here and there and a lot of Keynote. I am fine with the lower resolution of the 12 inch cause I work on a studio display 15 inch lcd right now. However I wouldnt mind the extra video performance in the 15inch Pbook and extra screen real estate. If you were in my shoes and money wasnt the sole deciding factor what would you go for? What kind of performance hits/benefits will I see compared to my tower :confused:

Also, keep in mind this is just a stopgap laptop until the G5 comes out which I will almost undoubtably get.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice. :)

Evan

2. Bhennies macrumors 6502

The 1.5 ghz g4 is BARELY faster than the 1.33. I had the same dilemma and I ended up getting the combo 15". I do not regret my decision at all. However, if you're playing games, you might want the 128VRAM. THe 4x superdrive is a joke. Get an external if you need one. 16x and dual layer burners will be out very soon. For the price of the combo versus super, I was able to get a gig of RAM and a case and FW800 drive.

EDIT: I travel a good bit with the 15" and it's quite portable. The 12" screen I find too small.

3. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

either way you go, get a 5400rpm HD, everything will feel faster, but you know that... good. =)

128mb VRam is going to help for higher res/definitions settings in Halo, and will help the resale price of your PB down the road when you upgrade

Bhennies is right though about 1.33ghz vs. 1.5ghz being "barely" different processor wise.

check out http://www.barefeats.com/pb12.html for comparisons between VRam. but keep in mind the difference would be greater when comparing the GeForce and a Radeon, barefeats compares the Radeon to itself (64mb vs. 128mb)

gaming isn't the Mac's forte', so if you plan on doing that go with the best powerbook you can get... the 15" with 128mb VRam