1.5 Ghz (g4)

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by SomeAppleGuy, Jan 26, 2002.

1. SomeAppleGuy macrumors member

Remember me? Probably not. I rant and rave alot but haven't said much since Mac World. But I have some information that may be of value to some of you.

There is a 1 GHZ dual processor G4 (yes G4) sitting in an Apple Store as we speak. Announcement forth-coming. Probably monday. This is legit, not a rumor. I am guessing Apple did not want to rain on the iMac parade at MacWorld. So this will probably be a quiet announcement.

Sorry guys, no G5... atleast not yet.

I had to edit this sorry. I verified this is actually 1ghz dual, not 1.5.

2. spuncan macrumors 6502

Sounds cool

Sounds cool and not to discredit you but I'd like more proof i.e. store location, more specs, description, or at least some to base your findings on. But this sounds possible because of all the new Powermac rumors but next monday i.e. the 28th. theres been no link to that except the possibility that everyone heard last monday instead of this one. Well lets al start watching Apple.com and this site 24/7 lol. Railheaddesign which has made some really cool schemes says that Microcenter has info on the new Powermacs but no date. Oh yeah Compusa and all Apple resellers except Circuit City have the 800mhz iMac now. I'm calling Circuit City soon.

3. dantec macrumors 6502a

Is it a powermac on display or one of your "apple friends" slipped you a sneak peek in the back of the store...

4. SomeAppleGuy thread starter macrumors member

Its not on display. Its in the back room of an Apple Store. Sorry, I don't want to say which one for obvious reasons. Can't supply any proof for ya other than my word. But it is there. And I'm guessing that the announcement will be monday (or atleast early next week) because if the Apple Stores are getting them already, they will not want the word to get out to early. Hmm, ooops... haha.

Anyway, just remember this post whenever they do finally announce the damn thing.

5. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Spuncan-

I'd like to know exactly which Apple resellers have the new iMac. I work at CompUSA (i'm the apple guy) and we don't even have them in our system yet. We never get apple products until after they start shipping, and even then it takes a couple of weeks. I'm not expecting them until mid Feburary. This goes for ALL compusa's not just mine.

-Pete

6. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

This is good news. However, I think like many people, we are wanting either higher mhz g4's or g5's. Any ideas about these? When can we expect them assuming we get new tower next week? Is march a possibility?

7. SomeAppleGuy thread starter macrumors member

I don't think there will be shipping delays like the iMac is having. The G4 is seeing an upgrade, not a drastic make-over. The case is the same so most of the parts being used Apple already has. (Then again, many have waited a month to recieve their iPod, so who knows) I think if they announce them this week you can order one and hope to receive it in a couple weeks anyway.

8. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Well if you won't tell us where you saw it, will you give us some specs?

9. spuncan macrumors 6502

Called and Saw

ptrauber- I called Compusa they said the had the 800mhz in stock and on display. Went there and they said they had a few but none on display they said they were going to put them up by tomorrow. So I'm heading back over tomorrow. Oh yeah Microcenter has them too. Other then that I have no idea except Circuit City said they were getting them by next weekend hopefully.

10. OSUbuckeyefan macrumors regular

Re: Called and Saw

Do you mean 1 GHz?

11. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Re: Re: Called and Saw

He means the iMac.

12. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Re: Called and Saw

Which CompUSA are you referring to? Their online availability checker shows Out of Stock for stores in Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois, and Michigan. Couldn't think of any other Zip codes to try, but I suspect there's a trend here. Their inventory count, however, seems to be accurate, or has been in the past, at least. When the online inventory said that the Indianapolis store had PowerBook G4 500's in stock last summer, and three different employees said they didn't, a search of the backroom showed their inventory was more accurate than their people. (For any CompUSA people reading this, when a customer says your computer shows an item in stock, at least have the DECENCY to go look without the customer having to involve management. I will never again put out that sort of effort to give someone $3,500.)

13. BillGates macrumors member

No G5, No DDR RAM ... Yet.

Dual 1Ghz, PC133 RAM, New graphics card $2999.00

I'm hoping the new video card is some flavor of the GeForce 4. Maybe Apple waited for the GeForce 4 official release next week rather then announcing the speed bumped G4s on the 22nd like they had planned.

The next revision to the tower will be the G5 with DDR RAM

I choose to believe Apple is doing everything it can to deliver the fastest possible systems to us For that reason I will be happy with whatever is the next revision to the Pro systems.

14. spuncan macrumors 6502

Michigan Indy

Indygopher- I'm in michigan (a suburb of detroit exactly) and I called compusa they said they had it and the website said 2-4 weeks for my store. So I went there and they said the have them but haven't unloaded them that was yesterday at about 5 and so tomorrow I'm going back to be awed by Apple once again.

15. SomeAppleGuy thread starter macrumors member

Here is the information that I have: a small update.

Dual 1ghz G4 with GeForce 4 video card.
    (There is some confusion on the processor, its possibly 1.5 ghz, but he video card is definatley GeForce 4)

Ram, HD unknown. Price unknown.

Case has not changed. Looks just like the quick silvers.

They only have 1 of these. A model unit. Some thing is suppose to be announced Monday. They are not making a very big deal out of this. Will be similiar to the unexpected combo drive in the PowerBook. I have no visual proof for you, sorry. But what little information I do have is solid. It comes from someone I have slept with. :)

Hope this helps, many people have died in order to bring this information to you. use it wisely (or something like that)

16. spuncan macrumors 6502

Nvidia 4, when?

Someappleguy- do u know or does anyone know when Nvidia will announce the Geforce 4 cuz I think its ulikley it will be introduced simaltaniously with this (small update). My 2 Cents If the Apple store only has one then it could mean either a quick release (next week) with long ship time or a longer wait (up to a month) :( with an imediate ship. My guess some where in the middle (2-3 weeks). I hope I'm wrong.

17. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

your back!

How have you been? You seem a bit more Calm on this round of posts. Do you remember me? We went back and forth a bit durring your last round of posts. thats great news about the Dual `1Ghz+ almost tempting enuph for me to grab one. I wonder if Apple is going to stick to the Dual CPU thing. I would love to get one but I just cant justify getting a new mac all ready. I want to wait till a major upgrade. I hope to see Dual G5's, DDR and ATA 166 (or even iSCSI... not going to happen). I will have to go and take a test drive of one of those things when and if they come out.

18. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Unless you've slept with Steve Jobs, then that doesn't earn you many "reliable info" points. If anything, it ups the odds that you're getting your chain yanked.

19. alex_smith macrumors newbie

20. b8rtm8nn macrumors member

Oh the irony...

-snip-
    Unless you've slept with Steve Jobs, then that doesn't earn you many "reliable info" points. If anything, it ups the odds that you're getting your chain yanked.
    -snip-

Of course he's getting his chain yanked - that's the point of sleeping with someone! LOL!

21. BillGates macrumors member

22. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

IF the new dual G4 is 1GHz, what is going to be the fastest single processor model??? I don't have software that will really take advantage of the dual processors, so the faster single chip will work great for me.

23. SomeAppleGuy thread starter macrumors member

Hey evil dead. Yah i remember you. and i am more calm. Had a little time to relax I suppose. I really had no intention of coming back any time soon, but when I heard about this I thought of all of you. Aren't I sweet? Plus I am still mad at Apple for other reasons so I figure why the hell not.

Anyway, if I ever hear of something really secret and cool I'll be sure to let you know, but that is unlikely at this point. I can tell you Apple is still hiring many support technicians for G4 telephone support. My guess (and this is only a guess) is that Apple wants to release G5s as soon as possible and dispose of what G4 chips they have in stock. Why not just give us Quad-Processor G4s!!! Let us re-create starwars 1 on our Macs and throw away Georges version!!

-theres some ranting for ya.

bye bye

24. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

this is the kind of childish mess that always irks me about people. you once mentioned appleguy that you work(ed) for apple. if i am to believe this, then i am ashamed that a company like apple would hire you. you obviously pay no attention to your nondisclosure agreement, something that can get you jailed. dishonesty is such a pitiful trait in people. dishonesty combined with childish tendencies is just plain disgraceful.

hopefully you don't nor have ever worked for apple.

25. slipjack macrumors newbie

shut the hell up

Oh yes, we want to discourage getting any information at all from Apple employees... and live off of the crap that mosr.com and spymac.com gives us... gimme a break.

If this is for real.. I appreciate the head's up. Apple is just getting really anal about the whole thing, and in the end, it's just stupid, all this secrecy.

Like it freakin' matters, and we might as well have something REAL to look forward to instead of crappy iPad rumors.