$1.5 Million Worth of iPad Minis Stolen from Airport Warehouse

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 15, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The New York Post reports that thieves managed to steal $1.5 million worth of iPad minis from a warehouse at Kennedy Airport in New York City on Monday night. The heist, which appears to have been an inside job, netted the criminals two pallets containing 3,600 iPad minis.
    Three other pallets were left behind when the thieves fled after being approached by a warehouse worker.

The report does not specifically identify which types of iPad minis were stolen in the heist, but with pre-orders of the new cellular-capable models on their way to customers over the next several days, it seems possible that the units were LTE models in the process of being distributed for launch-day sales.

Article Link: $1.5 Million Worth of iPad Minis Stolen from Airport Warehouse

2. macrumors member

Nice iPad Mini box.

3. macrumors 65816

Holy crap!

4. macrumors 6502a

When the iPad 3 came out, my UPS driver told me he had 2 unmarked security cars follow him from the UPS hub to Best Buy to deliver something like 700 iPads.

5. macrumors 6502

Wow no idea the iPad mini looks like my iPhone 5.

Time to start checking Craigslist in New York for some deals

[​IMG]

6. macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

This is the second heist against apple with large sums of money and product this year that were stolen right? Does this happen every year? How can a person honestly get away with stealing these devices, the resale has to be impossible...

7. macrumors 6502

What would be so hard?

Can sell those anywhere. Streets, Kijiji, Craigslist, ebay, etc

8. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

And the Goodfellas strike again. (For all you movie buffs;))

The hell with the Lufthansa theft...this is big! :eek:

9. macrumors 6502

So if someone offers you iPads from their trunk, these might actually be real for once, rather than a brick.

10. macrumors member

It would be hard because Apple can track exactly what ipads went missing from their serials, and block them. Not sure if the will, or would, but its still a possibility.

11. macrumors 6502

ck2875

I imagine Apple is now simply waiting for someone to power up one of the devices matching the stolen serial numbers (akin to the Steve Jobs iPad that went to the clown).

12. macrumors 6502

Stolen phones/tablets are sold all the time.

My buddy bought a stolen iPhone not knowing online and the carrier was like "you know this was a stolen phone?" He had no idea and they activated it for him.

I don't think they would fully block any of these. Might use them as bait to catch these guys in fact. Its not the consumers fault in the end.

13. macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Never seen an iPad mini... Became this mini.

14. macrumors member

You're absolutely right. This won't go away. They will investigate and track these items. It's just too much to be ignored. Unless they are shipped out of the country right away, they will be caught.

15. macrumors 6502

extricated

Had they managed to get the other three pallets, this would have been a $3.75 Million heist. :eek:

16. macrumors 6502

ck2875

On second thought: I bet it was Santa Claus.

If it wasn't him, these thieves missed one hell of an opportunity. I can only imagine how amazing a video of some guys dressed up as Santa and his helpers stealing 3,600 iPads would have looked on the evening news.

17. macrumors 6502

SamGabbay

Apple really lost out more because now they have to reship $1.5 million worth of iPad minis to customers who are now not getting it.

18. macrumors 6502

ck2875

I imagine the shipping company will be the one financially responsible.

19. macrumors 6502a

3600 X 329 = 1.1 mil (Wifi)
    3600 x 459 = 1.6 mil (4G)

Hmm

20. macrumors regular

Yeah it sucks for Apple, but we are talking about like a 750k-1M loss for a company that has billions in the bank. We are also talking about small group of iPad Minis. If they sold 3 M units opening weekend we are talking about 0.1% of their pre-orders so it isn't going to be a major constraint on their supply by any means.

21. macrumors 65816

bacaramac

So for any of you who had delivery dates this week and it has now moved to next week, we know what happened. Haha

22. macrumors 6502

Actually, I think Apple has insurance, so there is no loss, only delivery delays.

23. macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I assume it's not Apple's insurance. I would think the shipping company has full insurance and responsibility for this. Apple doesn't own the shipping companies, they contract out that work.

24. macrumors member

Are you serious? Have you seen the gray market for devices like this, they would get near retail for almost all o them easily..

25. macrumors regular

Right, I'm just saying that even if you said money wise it would be a small number for them to eat. For quantity it is a small number as well. It sucks, but it isn't going to be something that Tim Cook probably even gets involved with.