1.6 G5 for $1400, 1.8 for $1700, or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by neonart, May 21, 2004.

  1. macrumors 65816

    neonart

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2002
    Location:
    Near a Mac since 1993.
    #1
    Ok I'm really sick of waiting, I have those two offers on the table?

    What do you think?
     
  2. macrumors 6502a

    thatwendigo

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2003
    Location:
    Sum, Ergo Sum.
    #2
    If you really can't wait to see what's going to happen, then I'd take the 1.8ghz machine if it's a dual processor tower. Otherwise, I'd just stick it out another month to see what comes down the pipe at WWDC. If the offers aren't time-limited (as such things sadly are, most often :rolleyes: ), then you can't lose.

    Worst case, you get the machine anyways. Best case, you might see something even better around the $1,700 price point. How can you lose, assuming that the offer doesn't end before then?
     
  3. macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Location:
    Yahooville S.C.
    #3
    I agree, interesting :cool:
     
  4. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 19, 2004
    #4
    Im basically in the same boat neonart. what to do.....its so tempting to just go out and buy one right now but the gold at the end of the rainbow (WWDC) just seems a little too good to pass up at the same time. Im not an experienced Mac user but feel its high time to switch as Emagic is owned by apple and doesnt make Logic audio for the PC anymore. Im curious as to how easy it would be to upgrade from a 1.8 G5 cased in a dual tower like THATWENDIGO was saying to a new top of the line dual 3 ghz or whichever becomes available?? if anyone could even give thier rough estimates at what this would cost I would appreciate it. I realise it is not very precise but Im just trying to decide what to do just like NEONART I need a new G5 more and more everyday but I dont want to be left in dust once the upgrades come out. Thanks
     
  5. macrumors 6502a

    thatwendigo

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2003
    Location:
    Sum, Ergo Sum.
    #5
    Welcome to the fold, then. Feel free to PM me if you need any specific questions answered, and I'll do my best to get you a timely answer back on any topic you might need to know about. I'm pretty good at either pulling it off the top of my head, or going out and finding it. :D

    I find it unlikely, at best. The ASICs for the G5s are soldered right onto the board, and even if the revised processors are pin-compatible, I find it unlikely that they'd be workable in the older systems. There are some pretty interesting rumors afloat that WWDC might show us an entirely different chip than the 970.

    After all, Steve never said that it was the 970 that would be 3.0ghz. :cool:

    Wait a month. What can it hurt?
     
  6. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 19, 2004
    #6

    True enough...Thanks!
     
  7. thread starter macrumors 65816

    neonart

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2002
    Location:
    Near a Mac since 1993.
    #7
    Well waiting hurts, but your right... It's better then being all depressed when they release new 3.6Ghz G5's @ $1199! ;)
     
  8. macrumors 601

    Chaszmyr

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2002
    #8
    I'll take 4 :cool:
     

Share This Page