1.67 Powerbook Needs Help...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by pdpfilms, Jan 27, 2007.

1. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Howdy-
    Today, went to do a clean install of OSX on my Powerbook, as it was getting a wee bit buggy. To begin, the 10.4 install disc was demanding I put batteries into my BT mouse and use that. Luckily I had one, and obeyed. After a few tries I got it working and continued with installation.

Installation proceeded without a hitch, afterwhich my PB restarted. It froze at the Mac OSX startup screen at "Starting OSX", progress bar at about 10%. I performed a hard restart after a few minutes, and it happened again.

I then used target disk mode to perform a second clean install from another computer. Installation was fine again. Restart. This time, the original PB got past the startup screen, but froze when the dock was halfway up. Restarted, the dock got all the way up, but no menu bar. Restarted, no progress. Disk Utility says the disk is fine, I can even use the HD as a boot disk for the second PB.

What is going on?? I can't seem to find any history of similar problems in the forums. Looking like it might be MBP time...

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

Time for a new hard drive? What was "buggy" about your previous install?

3. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Disk Utility said my PB's HD was working just fine even though I new, and could hear, that it was failing right before my ears.

I reinstalled the OS and it would still freeze during the startup. Although you being able to use it as a boot disk seems like it could still be fine. I can only guess that it could be the HD.

4. Cerebrum macrumors regular

Cerebrum

This sounds like a RAM issue to me. Have your RAM checked.

5. oragano macrumors newbie

do u have the latest version of OSX for it? And are you using the disks that came with the machine?
    I went through the exact same thing with my 1.67ghz. Apple replaced the logic board and were very good, but i got it back and after a fresh install (minus the junk i dont use) it did the same thing
    Turned out i needed to use osx 10.4.4 disks. Anything lower and it will do as you are describing. Helpfully, apple even sent me some new install disks to try after the first failure. Of course i never admitted it was all my own fault for using an old tiger disk ;)

6. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Noise?!

wait - you're telling me when a computer makes 'failing' noises, its the RAM?

Sounds like the HDD is sufferring mechanical failure. If the machine is still within warranty - take it back ASAP. perhaps apple can replace the HDD.

F

7. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

He didnt actually mention anything about harddrive noises, it was the 2nd poster that did so.

8. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

oooooooooohhhhh. I really- REALLY hope that's not the issue. Because I don't have applecare on this machine and they quoted me $329 to fix whatever it is, no hardware included. Ohhh man. Hopefully they call me soon with a requote. craaaap.

9. Cerebrum macrumors regular

Cerebrum

I never mentioned anything about the hard-drive (as f1400 commented). The fact that the hard drive makes noises could be multiple things, also, it was Joepunk who spoke about the hard drive, not pdafilms (and I was addressing both pda and Joe regarding their freezing up issues--just quoted Joe). To me it sounds like a ram issue because if it were the hard drive, a clean installation would not occur without a hitch. If the computer is having issues starting up or randomly freezing up it usually ends up being the RAM--of course, not the ONLY issue that could be malfunctioning.

In regards to a hard drive failing, if the HD makes noises, failing noises are kinda hard to distinguish depending on the brand it is (of course it makes a loud whinnying or cracking whirring noise...it may be questioned)...however, an HD problem shouldn't be ruled out yet I suppose. The first 2 things i'd check are the RAM and the HD, keeping in mind that OS X cannot be ruled as the best software to verify either as there are other 3rd party programs out there that could be better at checking these more in depth.

- C.M.S.

10. oragano macrumors newbie

you misunderstand me. apple replaced the logic board, but there was no need to at all. There was nothing wrong with it , just i was using the wrong install disks
    If use ones that are 10.4.3 or below then i get the exact same thing as u.

11. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

No, I understood- I mean that I don't want to pay Apple upwards of $300 for a repair that would have otherwise cost $100- just a newer Tiger disk. I really hope they can figure that out and not attempt to fix the issue with a new logic board and hours of labor that i don't need.

12. oragano macrumors newbie

u shud probably call and tell them cos right now they are thinking they can put in a new logic board and charge you and theres nothing you can do about it.
    I would phone and make sure, then u get charged just labour hopefully