1.6ghz Powermac Problems

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by supergod, Nov 3, 2004.

1. supergod macrumors 6502

My powermac, which I ordered right when they came out with 512mb of Ram and the Radeon 9600 (i added another 512mb of RAM this summer), has been experiencing a lot of problems for the last few months. The problems are confusing and numerous, some of them leading me to believe that my logic board is shot. My hardrive (80 gig) has been giving me grief, causing the computer to freeze a lot whenever I'm opening a file (especially listening to music over quicktime) and skipping through movies and songs. Randomly my computer has been experiencing major freezes, even just when using Apple programs: Safari being a major one. My hardrive only has 20gigs used up and I regularly run disk maintenance, so I have no idea why this is happening. Similarly the freezes are very annoying. I have lost word files when I am typing and open safari, freezing the entire computer. Just recently the computer was frozen in this type of situation and with nothing to lose I just put in sleep. A few minutes after I pushed the power button the computer went to sleep and I gave it a few minutes before turning it back on. The display was scrambled, showing what appeared to be something equivalent to snow, a scattered neon blue image. Some of the freezes I have been having have been enough to freeze the cursor interface which leads me to believe they are logic board. My computer still works great when I want to use it for pro apps, but for everyday work it is a total drag, especially for multitasking. What's the deal?

2. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Try removing the RAM that you recently added and see how you go. It might be bad RAM, but even if not, it's a quick and easy way to start the troubleshooting process by eliminating it as a factor. Let us know how you go.