1.6TB internal HD space in your PM G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pdpfilms, Sep 23, 2004.

1. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Can anybody here attest to either of these products? I'm getting to the point where i need much more storage for video, though a RAID setup isn't necessary. I'd also like it to be all internal, rather than building up a tower of externals.

This first one seems the simplest- install a small rack in front of your leading processor fans, able to hold three extra SATA drives.

SATAMAXi

The scond seems a little less simple, and involves switching out the air deflector with an aluminum one, and actually attaching the drives to that. Seems a little more complicated...

G5Jam

Has anyone seen or tried these products? Anybody use them regularly?

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

The ProMax idea looks much better, but at price they're charging, you might as well fabricate something similar yourself. $1K for a few pieces of metal and screws, a SATA PCI, and a pair of 250GB HD? Those guys are on crack.

3. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

Probably you can make something on your own, some DIY 5 400GB drives 2 PCI-X SATA hosts and here is your storage: 2TB inside a G5!!

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Have you considered daisy chaining for FW800 Lacie Drives? Lacie Drives are very well priced and you take them to multiple machines if you ever invest in a PowerBook or anything like that.

iJon

5. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Yeah, I've alread got three USB 2.0 drives, and i'm sick of mounting and ejecting them, risking unplugging one and losing data, and just dealnig with external drives alltogether. I'm really interested in these two products, because they elminate all that hassle. They sound pretty unused in the community, though...

6. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I don't think its that widely known in the community because I don't know many people that need a full TB in there computer and those who do just Raid there externals. Alot cheaper. :p

7. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

well the advantage of Firewire devices is you can daisychain them, mine is allways connected, so I never unmount it... I never unplug it either

ok I had this drive before I got my G5... its the last remain of my ex-Blue&White G3 followed up by my ex-powerbookG4 and I would recomend internal all the time because its cheaper & faster on data transfer.

do you need that much of data storage to start off? you might consider getting 2 400GB SATA drives first, and add on when needed, or if you have the cash.. go for one of the other setups

MacUsers have been known for their trains of drives before ;-)

I'm not... thats why I did switch the internal cd-rom of my G3 by a Burner instead of buying an external one wich was 3x the cost at that time
    installed a second harddrive in the Zip-drive bay (tricky one with cables that short)

then I got my TiBook and bought the external firewire, because it was faster to keep my important data on that one and connect it to the computer I was working on...

I did consider upgrading the drive in my powerbook for a while but then it got stolen :-S a few months after I sold my G3 because I didn't used it that much anymore

My ideal setup for now would be two WD raptors at 10.000 rpm raided as one as bootdrive (beeing speedy and large enough for all the programs ;-) ) and two +400GB drives in the jam or external raided in mirror for safety... and my external that I have... for iTunes and extra backup for the most important files from my buisness...

J

8. ShermDog macrumors regular

9. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Awesome....these all seem like good advice. I'm especially excited with the swiftdata 200, which will aloow me to get this done for muuuuch cheaper. Feel free to post any more alternatives though.