1.75TB in a G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JasonElise1983, Apr 26, 2004.

1. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

I have just ordered three Macs for my home/home office use. a 1.6Ghz G5, a Dual 2.0Ghz G5, and a 15" PowerBook 1.5Ghz. I have a few Hard Drive questions about them.

1. I know that TransIntl makes a product called the Swift, that allows for 3 more HardDrives to be mounted in a G5. Wiebetech also makes the Jam which will put 2 more HardDrives in a G5. Is it possible to use both of these. I really want to ad a lot of storage, but i don't want to do it externally. I also figure i will need 3 PCI SATA controllers, right? Would i have any heat issues? I want this for the 1.6ghz

2. Do the Western Digital Raptors work in a G5? They only list PC's on their sight, but i really want some 10K RPM drives in my Dual 2.0Ghz.

3. the Toshiba 50Gb 7200 RPM 16Mb Cache HD seems really good. Does anyone have any info on how it performs in a PowerBook. I am looking for speed and powerconsumption. I obviously don't want it to catch on fire, but heat issues aren't that big with me. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

-jason

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i dont know if both devices work inside. as for the rapton drives, they should work just fine. a hard drive is a hard drive, as long as the OS has the right driveres (which it does) and is formatted correctly.

iJon

3. legion macrumors 6502a

What are you talking about? Link please...

Toshiba doesn't make any 7200rpm laptop (2.5") drives. The only company that does is HGST and it is a 60GB, 7200rpm, 8MB cache, 9.5mm thin hard drive. However, if you put in in your PB, you've voided your warranty (and Apple won't put it in there for you, so you're stuck with at most a 5400rpm drive) SOP for Apple.

(note SOP=standard operating procedure)

4. legion macrumors 6502a

1. No.
    The G5Jam and the Swift use the same space to store the drives. If you look closely, you'll notice that. Plus, the G5 powersupply wouldn't be able to support that many devices and you'll end up blocking all the airflow out of/into your system .

2.Yes, the Raptor drives will work just fine.

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

That's only true for current models.

It's too bad they took the hard drive off the Customer-Installable Parts list. I'm glad to know my good old TiBook is still upgradeable and my APP won't be affected. ;)

6. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I want to know what you do for a living and if you need an assistant. No really! :D

7. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Anyone have any clue why Apple would do this? Are the HDs particularly hard to get to in the Albooks or something? Not that its a problem for my Tibook which is off warantee, which would have been voided when i stuck a 2x superdrive in it, but I'd sure be ticked off if i had to bring in my laptop just to have the HD replaced.

8. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

My guess...money. Why let Joe Q. Public do their own work when they can charge people to do it. But that's just the cynic in me though.

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

That's definitely a cynical approach, but it doesn't make sense that they would have had it in previous revisions and not the new AluBooks.

I really think it's en enclosure/internal layout thing, like tpjunkie said.

10. JasonElise1983 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

Toshiba does make a 7200RPM notebook drive with a 16Mb Cache. http://www.directron.com/mk5024gay.html

and G5 Jam and the Swift don't use the same space. The Jam places the HD's beside the PCI slots (http://www.barefeats.com/hard36.html). The swift mounts them beside the Processors, in front of the memory (http://www.barefeats.com/swift.html). Two completely different places. Do you really think the power supply couldn't handle it? i might just give it a shot anyway.

I'm a freelance designer/video editor/ animator, who also acts as a file/web server for local companies. I don't really need the space i'm asking for, but i have the money right now and wanted to not have to worry bout space. I already have two assistants, so sorry :( thanks for your help