1.8 Ghz G5 or MacMini or?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by way77, Nov 18, 2006.

1. way77 macrumors newbie

way77

Greetings all gurus,

I have an old G4 400Mhz that I love (love that pulsing sleep light) but it's getting a bit sluggish and won't do certain things in Ilife (e.g. Ken Burns preview). I also use OS9 to run Intellidraw.

I've been looking at used G5 Powermacs on ebay, the 1.8Ghz are going for around $800. Is the upper end MacMini as fast/powerful as the G5? I like the expansion possibilities of the G5 and that it runs OS9 but the Mini seems to have alot going for it as well. Also do you think they will upgrade the MacMini to the Core Duo2 in Jan?

Thanx!

2. Mernak macrumors 6502

As you said the MacMini lacks expansion capabilities, and it also has a much lower quality video card (I'm guessing that would help in iMovie) and a smaller hard drive, less ram slots, etc. But on the other hand, the Mini would have a faster processor. Personally I would get the G5, but to each his own.

3. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Go for the G5, although at that price I guess you are looking at single processor units. Those have the benefit of expandability, but the drawback of only being single. Seriously, the problem I have with most Mac desktops is the lack of expandability and mini's come in right at the bottom. G5 PM's are so easy to upgrade!!

4. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

yeah go for the g5 even if it is only a single, thats what i currently am using( single 1.8ghz powermac g5)

5. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I'm using a single 1.8 G5... I've upgraded the hard disk to a raptor, the ram to 3GB and about to upgrade the graphics to one of the best at AGP 8x... it beats a lot of the macs on the market now and is 3 years old this week!

6. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

what vid card?