1.8 vs. 1.6 imac. Worth the extra cost?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CaptainCaveMann, Mar 21, 2005.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Im thinking of picking up a 17 inch iMac g5. Do you guys think its worth it to pay the extra cost for the 1.8?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Hey Captain,

Maybe you should tell us what you want to do with this machine. Normal day-to-day email and web serfing? Its probably not worth it.

3. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Nothing to extreme. Web design programs, and productivity apps. But i think its 200 more for the 1.8 and it looks to me like your only getting the slightly faster processor for that extra money. So do you guys think that jump from a 1.6 to the 1.8 is worth 200 bucks?

4. SLCentral macrumors regular

You also get the SuperDrive. That should be the main factor. The 200Mhz difference will be marginal.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm in a very similar dilemma at the moment. I can't see that the faster processor/FSB would really affect me all that much so it pretty much comes down to the superdrive option and whether I want it inbuilt or whether I can put up with an external drive.

6. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

So for 200 bucks more you get the sd and a slightly faster processor. I guess ill have to just decide if thats gonna be worth it to me. I dont have a dvd burner at the moment and i really dont see myself needing one. Since i dont even have a video camera and i like to buy my dvd's in the store rather than burn them from online.

7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, FWIW I have a superdrive in my eMac and just the cdrw in my iBook and I just bought an external dvd drive (check my sig.) I prefer the external and as far as the speed bump goes it takes me longer to think of what to do in flash than it does the ibook to keep up. With that said is it really worth the FSB and slight bump from 1.6 to 1.8...I looked at both before I bought my iBook and at this time I would go with the 1.6 since the screen size (I know you didn't bring this up) is most important to me OVER the other extras. Time is money to some but this slight diff. is not that big to worry and hey, $200 more to put into maxing out the ram :D
    One last thing is if you have saved up for the 1.8 and get the 1.6 look into the recons and the price just dropped more "compaired" to the price of a new iMac at the 1.8 price and that means even more goodies ;)

8. vieoray macrumors regular

i recently bought an iMac, and i debated this as well. it really came down to whether i had a use for the superdrive or not, and i decided i really didn't. the only thing i would probably use it for would be backups, and if i needed it that badly, i would just get an external one. so instead of spending 200 extra dollars, i got the 1.6 and used the $200 i saved to throw in an airport card and bluetooth. now i have a speedy beautiful computer with only one wire coming out the back of it that is a joy to use.