1.83 or 2.0 Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dcl, May 28, 2006.

1. dcl macrumors regular

dcl

Which MACBOOK :1.83 or 2.0:confused: Superdrive or Combo

- Already have a Plextor PX-716UF External DVD DL writer
    - Speed increase from the 1.83 to 2.0 is a small gain

According to Apple Store - Apple programs (iDVD, iTunes, Etc.) will now work with external DVD writers & I don't see myself needing to burn enough DVD's out of the office to make $200 difference worth it.

Any OTHER reasons to go with the 2.0 White Macbook with Superdrive, over the 1.83 Macbook with Combo Drive ?

Thanks

2. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

I just picked up the 2.0 because I needed the superdrive.Just go with the 1.83. unless you feel someday you might want the dvd burner inside.

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Previously, Combo drive Macs have not shipped with iDVD, but that may have changed, in fact it probably has, but you should make sure before you pull the trigger.

There is close to a 10% jump in clock speed between then two. Usually less than 5% is considered imperceptible, so the performance difference may be slightly noticeable, but granted it's not much.

If you do video work, the ability to burn a DVD on the go may come in handy at some point. I know it has for me.

EDIT: Looking at the Apple Store, there is nothing to indicate iDVD is left out of the 1.83 version, so I think its safe to assume its on there.

4. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Well i am also going to buy a macbook and I'm going to buy the 1.83. I dont need a Superdrive and the speed is a small increase. I say go for the 1.83, plus, you save money and can buy accessories for it...:D

5. jsfpa macrumors regular

jsfpa

I just picked up the 1.83 with a combo drive yesterday. It dose have iDVD included.

6. Mernak macrumors 6502

Just go with the 1.83 MB, the money you save will get you a better HD and more RAM. The only reason I went with the 2.0 MB is the Superdrive to backup my data, and I cant imagine that the speed difference wil be noticable at all.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I say go with the 1.83GHz MacBook and put the money you saved towards more RAM (go for 2GB if you can).

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Never hurts to have more...get the 2.0 AND more RAM

Bless

9. dcl thread starter macrumors regular

dcl

Decision Made

Decision Made :cool:

Thanks for the imput.

Ordered the 1.83 with Combo Drive - Now just have to wait for Amazon to get some in.:(

Will have enough change to cover 2 gigs of Ram and a nice case for my macbook.

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sounds good dcl, enjoy your nice, new MacBook when it arrives! :)