1.83GHz Core Duo MacBook Pro priced $1000 more than 1.83GHz ...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Feb 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003

Category: Apple Hardware
    Link: 1.83GHz Core Duo MacBook Pro priced $1000 more than 1.83GHz Core Duo Dell
    Description:: Apple's MacBook Pro is nearly $1000 more than a similar Dell notebook (after using a coupon) or just over $400 without coupons, according to a blog entry at ZDNet. While the debate rages, the Dell Core Duo notebook offers a larger 17-inch screen, faster graphics, and a faster optical drive.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug
  2. Administrator emeritus

Jun 28, 2002
    North Central Colorado
    ok, before the whining rants begin, I know there's a coupon involved for the dell, but it was still cheaper than the MBPro in the first place, and the specs are generally in the Dell's corner.

3. macrumors member

Jun 6, 2005
    Who cares? Yes, it'd be nice if Apple's laptops were equivalent in price, or at least closer, to other competitors. Yet, Apple knows that people are willing to pay more for the quality and OS that comes when purchasing a Mac!
  4. macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Price doesn't matter to many mac users. In their eyes, the more sleek look of the MBP and OSX is worth the extra $1000, but most PC users will easily choose the Dell. Apple is going to need to do something about this if they want to increase marketshare.
  5. macrumors 68030

Apr 16, 2005
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    Who CARES if Dell has Low Prices???

Look, the only thing that keeps me from buying a dell is: The Operating System.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Dec 22, 2004
    Huber Heights, OH
    buy a dell, youre going to hell

no way i will ever buy a dell... even if its 1000 cheaper for a similar specd machine, they still run the crappiest OS known to man...
  7. macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2004
    New Zealand
  8. macrumors member

Oct 2, 2005
    Are you referring to the iMac G5s that melted, the pre-HD PowerBooks with bad RAM slots, the line of HD PowerBooks with across the board audio/screen problems, or the current iPod class-action lawsuits?
  9. macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR

Cause we ALL know the technical specs are what make a computer...

The OS is not important, the build quality is not important...

Christ, give it up!
  10. macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2002
    NOVA, or Northern Virginia to the lay person.
    I'm holging off on buying a MacBook, b/c I'm hoping the 17" Macbook will come with a 7800 Go or better, like the dell has.
  11. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    Yes, Apple quality IS higher than Dell's. Large-scale surveys show that.

Apple has quality problems... and Dell has more. In fact, Apple has the highest quality in the industry for desktops, and hovers near the top for laptops.

Now... how's the software bundle on that Dell? How bright is that screen? Are the keys illuminated? Size and weight?
  12. macrumors member

Jun 6, 2005
    a little of it all ... Nothing with computers is a guarantee. If Apple made 100% perfect computers, then we'd all be talking about why bother buying anything else. Yet, when compared with a lot of other companies, Mac's tend to hold up better and longer than other manufacturers. If you want me to list the problems I've personally had, heard from friends, and other forums from other companies, let me know.

This too: (thanks nagromme)
  13. macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2005
    Rockford MI
    Im I suppose to be surprised? Without the coupon $650 coupon its about were I thought it would be at. Apple just has always changed more, about <$400 seems about right considering you get frontrow, iSight, OS X and Apples design.
  14. macrumors regular

Dec 17, 2004
    Omaha NE
    Most PC people just look at specs and price and the hell with software and overall presentation. If one looks at the whole package the Apple MacBook Pro will look much better than the Dell Inspiron E1705.

I would gladly pay $1K for Mac OS X instead of Windows XP Problem Edition.
  15. Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I configured one as close to the MacBook Pro as possible and came up with $2256 before a $250 rebate.

There were a few small things like Bluetooth and 667 MHz RAM that needed to be added but I also changed WinXP Media Center Edition to Professional. As far as I know, Media Center doesn't support multiple processors, something that Mac OS X does.
  16. macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2005
    2,000 light years from home
    True- and even without all those premium features - the OS is stronger and more reliable. It's a very simple choice - once you've had the experience of the different platforms.
    This leads to what carlos700 said :

I too would gladly pay for the trouble free experience,,,, BUT those who have never tried OSX are reassured that they are getting a better value - nevermind the spyware, virus protection, and countless admin headaches that other platforms include. It is hard for some to see the value in shelling out the extra cash. I found it hard. But once I understood - I was pleased with what I had bought. For a change.
  17. macrumors member

Oct 2, 2005
    Well, when you're payting a premium for "quality", you'd expect a company to at least acknowledge a problem that is present on its entire line of "pro" laptops, let alone come up with a fix. As it stands today, if you wanted to purchase a PowerBook today/walk out with it today, the only guarantee you'd have is that it was defective, and that there was no fix for it.

What does this even mean?
  18. macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2004
    Madison, WI
    Of course Media center edition supports 2 processors. It's the default on the machine. Also it includes Front-row-esque functions.
  19. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    The MBP is over 50% more expensive for less hardware. And, yes, I count the coupon simply because, as the author pointed out, Dell coupons are almost an everyday thing.

Would I pay it? Yes, because I prefer OS X, but it annoys the hell out of me, because clearly the hardware isn't worth the premium, so you have to pay the grand for the OS.

Yes, you get a built-in iSight. Value to me? $25. Maybe. The next-gen iSights are terrible in all but the best light and are fixed-focus.

Yes, you get a remote. Value to me? Oh, $20 or so. Don't think I'd use it much - on a laptop. (Yes, you also get Front Row. Value to me? $0. It's crap software.)

Yes, you get backlit keys. Value to me? $50. They're wicked cool.

But, overall, the hardware isn't better except for design. The MBP screen is far inferior to the Dell's - and my 3 year old work Dell's 15.4" 1920x1200 screen is phenomenal, better than any of Apple's, and it's three years old. The weight is a bit off - ~8lb as opposed to ~7lb for a 17" PB.

Again, I'd pay the $1000, but only because of the OS, which is practically extortion. ;) The Dell is clearly the better deal for most people, and clearly superior hardware.

We've used Dell laptops at work for seven years (and several more at a previous employer). No problems. Excellent warranty. People like to complain about them, but they aren't bad systems. Yes, Apples are higher-rated, but I tend to feel this has something to do with the emotional connection people have to their Macs which causes them to rate them higher. My personal experiences with Apple support aren't better than mine with Dell's. Dell laptops are as durable as Apple PBs - again, my experience.

Given that you could get the Dell and and iBook (which includes virtually all of the software which comes on the MBP) for the price of an MBP, I think it's pretty clear that we're paying a very high premium.
  20. macrumors 68040

Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Yes Mac's do cost more, however they are BETTER machines. You can buy a 6 pack of beer for $5.99 or you can buy a six pack of beer for $10.99.

Crack one of each open and take a sip.
  21. macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    Central Texas
    Yes, Macs are more expensive than PC's that are built with the cheapest parts, that has been the case for a long time. But the higher price is worth it if you benefit from all the Mac only iApps , stable OS, and longer lasting hardware you get with it. It is not worth the higher cost if you do not plan on using those iApps or if all the apps you own run on PC's only. Hopefully one day Macs will be the hot thing like the iPod and they will be forced to lower prices or offer an undeniably better product. They do this now with the iPod, they offer many lower priced iPods and the high end one, even though it does not get much cheaper, always offers more than the competition. They have no choice but to do this because they are a victim of their own success. This is not the case with their computers. They will try to make as much money off of them as the market will stand. A few quarters of slow sales would adjust their attitude about that.
  22. macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Take a look at this thing edge on.

Its not even in the same class as the MacBookPro, its just the usual monster Dell desktop replacement. The rear:

Plus it has "a mobile design that starts at just 7.611 pounds". A real brute.

I have a Dell like this, and and I hate it.
  23. macrumors 68040

And you point is? Sure, a few macs had flaws. Nobody is perfect. On the other hand, all Dell's have flaws:
    Windows XP

I am tempted to buy a Dell and call their warranty dept. demanding that they fix the defect in my machine. After hours of frustrating and fruitless tech support when the techie determines that my machine is fine I will tell him that upon powering up the machine Windows XP booted, immediately causing my computer to slow down and become buggy. I will proceed to demand full reimbursement plus extra for mental exhaustion and a light concussion suffered from coming within 10' of the Dell. I will then use the money to pay off my M(axed)acBo(out)k credit cards.

I propose a bunch of MR people form a class action lawsuit against stupid people who form class action lawsuits against their scratched nano that does not have a case...

"judge, all I did was put the iPod in my pocket with my keys and it came out scratched!!! Apple owes my three thousand dollars for a $250 iPod."
    "me too!"
    "and my client's hearing could have been damaged!"
  24. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I agree it's not as well designed, but odds are the 17" MBP will weigh within a pound of that weight and will cost twice as much. Before, you couldn't really compare Dells and Apples because the hardware was so different. Now, it's clear you're paying a huge premium for design, because clearly you're not paying it for the OS (given that an iBook - hardware and software - costs less than the difference between this Dell and the Apple 17" MBP, whose price I'd guestimate will be ~$2800).
  25. macrumors regular

May 24, 2004
    For me, at least, this is becoming less and less true. Apple's UNIX underpinnings got me interested in Linux, and the more I use Linux, the more I'm finding replacements for what Mac OS X has - and it's all free...and open. Check out the videos of Novell Linux Desktop 10 and you'll see what I mean. I'm finding Apple's closed architecture to be more and more restrictive - and annoying. And I'm buying less and less Apple hardware because of exactly this issue...come on! $1000 less and better specs?! Nobody in their right mind should be defending Apple on this. A sleek enclosure and OS X does NOT cost $1000!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.