1.83ghz Powerbook G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by OrangeSVTguy, Nov 5, 2008.

1. macrumors 601

Sep 16, 2007
    Northeastern Ohio
    So a guy on ebay is selling a custom upgraded/overclocking for a 1.5ghz Powerbook G4. Is that possible? I've never heard of anything like that before :confused:.

ebay link here
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    It is possible. Many PowerMacs, eMacs, Mac minis and other systems are overclocked by changing some resistors around on the logic board that change the bus multiplier (Bus Speed X Bus Multiplier = CPU Speed). I'm sure its possible on the PowerBooks as well. The biggest issue that would face a system with such a high over clock is stability.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Dec 17, 2007
    The heat of such an overclock would cause problems too, and probably burn a hole in your lap if you used it!:p
  4. macrumors 65816

May 9, 2008
    Seriously, I would pass on that. The minimal performance increase of overclocking is not worth the increased possibility of system failure. IMHO
  5. macrumors 65816

Jan 9, 2008
    It just looks like it's been upgraded with a 3rd-party 7447a CPU.

The 7447a actually does a decent job of boosting performance, largely because of the improved (and I think larger) cache architecture which helps relieve the completely saturated memory bus on the PowerBook G4s.

http://www.barefeats.com/pb183.html Barefeats did a review on it.

I like how the guy says his powerbook now runs faster than his MBP. Either he's still running CS2 via rosetta on an older MBP or he's completely full of ****.