1.8G5 or new 15"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nospleen, Sep 16, 2003.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I love my new G5, but I would kind of like to go portable. Do you think there is a huge difference performance wise between the G5 1.8 v the 1.25 15" PB? I will be doing movie editing around once a week. So I would like something that is fairly quick, and as I mentioned, portable would be nice. But, if the decrease in perfomance is that dramatic, I will just save my money for a little while and then buy a powerbook later. Any advice?

2. onlydroops macrumors member

well, i think its pretty clear that a g5 is going to be a hell of a lot faster, especially loaded with ram.

what is more important to you? portability or insane speed?

im sure the g4 is fast enough for your needs, but then again, i have no clue what you're doing for video editing.

3. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

I would say speed is more important, but portability would be great. Since these g4's are a little different, I am wondering how they will perform. Even on my G5 rendering the Ken Burns effect absolutely sucks. I ordered an extra gig of ram and I figure that will help. I guess the thing to do is wait for some benchmarks on the PB.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

please remember nothing is out there yet that really knows how to use that g5, in the coming year that will change and you will see things smoking on the g5.

5. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

I think you are right. But why does apple do this to me. Too many macs, too little money!:D

6. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Personally i would go with the 15 inch PB. If your concerned about portability now, wait until you get down to some serious work.

I run a G4 tower with 400 mhz and 320 MB of ram; i wedding video work part time. I've also used this machine when i worked in web development, and countless other small projects and i've never complained about speed. But, i have always complained that i have to sit inside working when there is beautifull sunshine outside my window, I would love to get a laptop now and just work outside, i would definatly get a lot more done.

Remember no matter how fast your computer is, your always going to come up with things to do that will push the computer, and make certain things seems slow.

If your planning on keeping the G5, then give it a month or two and see if portability is really an issue, if it is then get the laptop, if you find you don't mind sitting in your office working, then you just saved yourself 3 grand...

Maybe in the next few months ,when or if you get sick of sitting in one room, we'll see a G5 laptop, i know, i know, wishfull thinking.

Hope that helps.

Good luck

7. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Actually, I think you confused me more. :D But what you said made alot of sense. It would be great to be able to sit on my porch and work at the same time.
    If you close the PB I imagine it goes to sleep, right? The reason I ask is because I would want my 20" as my primary display, so I could close the PB and plug in an external keyboard and mouse, that would be great. Would heat be an issue?

8. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

1.) if there is something that didn't make sence please quote it and i will do my best to clarify my point

2) as far as i know, there is a procedure for using your powerbook closed with external periferals, and external display, although i agree with the idea of using an external mouse, and full sized keyboard, i would suggest you don't bother closing the PB and just use it as your second display. Although that 20 inch monitor provides lots of destop space, there is no such thing as to much destop space when your working with video projects, aspecially when you wanna extend that time line both lenth wise and width wise.

3) if you could expand on what you mean by the heat issue i think i might be able to offer alittle more help.

9. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

I meant that with the lid closed, I feel the heat would not be dissapated properly. So when you plug in an extra display, you can choose which one is the main one? I have used two displays, but I never tried to change the one that was the default. I think the bluetooth mouse and keyboard would be perfect with this setup!

10. cubist macrumors 68020

For video editing, warning: Most folks who do this use two hard drives (c'mon guys, chime in). Also notebook drives are slower than desktop drives. The SATA drives in the new G5s are blazing fast. The new PBs have an option for slightly faster drives, I think I heard, but it's nowhere near the 7200 RPM and higher thruput you get with the G5's SATA drives.

No question, performance on the Book is going to be much less.

11. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

My wife has been telling me that I am nuts. I did not even think she cared for my G5, but I actually think she will be pissed if I sell it. :eek: I was on ebay a minute ago, and she came in and said, "What are you doing!!" It was pretty funny! :D

12. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I meant that with the lid closed, I feel the heat would not be dissapated properly. So when you plug in an extra display, you can choose which one is the main one? I have used two displays, but I never tried to change the one that was the default. I think the bluetooth mouse and keyboard would be perfect with this setup!

I think apple anticipated the heat problem and the components the computer can take the relative temperature change.

as far as default monitor, your laptop monitor works as the main monitor and your attached monitor expands your destop space so you can move pallete, windows, alias's - whatever you may need back and forth depending on your need.

in regards to a second harddrive, yes it is recommended that you use a "AV" deticated drive when your working with video, being the case, for under $500 you can get a 80 Gig, if not more at this point, Firewire hard drive, that is infact faster in it's operations at 7200 rpms, then and Ultra II SCSI drive (such as the one i have build into my computer) LaCie makes them, in destop forms and pocket drives that don't require AC power i so you can use them anywhere just like your laptop.

As far as using the internal drive, the only problem that you could run into, from my experience, is when your dealing with single clips that are huge in size. So to aviod this problem if you time code your work, and then capture particular clips, rather then entire segments, you'll not have to worry about speed of the drive, aswell as your overall work flow will be a lot faster because you've already done the dirty work of "scrubbing" your footage.

in regards to performance, you can't expect a laptop to match a destop because system architecture is so much different, so it is a trade off of size to speed. As far as what your trading off with in your question your already dealling with a completly different systme in it's own

15 inch 1.25 Ghz G4, is 32 bit system
    your 1.8 Ghz G5 is 64 bit

so it's not only a faster clock speed, it's a completely different architecture in itself

When it comes to video editing it depends on what your doing also. Are you doing simple edits with stock transitions, are you going as far as compositing 3D effects, with elaborate world scenes, and 3D creatures interacting with real world objects.

like i said, rendering will always take time, because no matter has fast the computer is, there is always something we all come up with doing that will take hours to render.

My advice, assess your needs first, always keeping in mind that your computer is secondary to you. An expensive brush won't paint a better picture if the person using it doesn't know what he's doing.

sorry it's so long, and it may seem like i'm jumbing, It's just that i wrote it in two seperate sittings.