Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Well, I have no use for classic, I bought this Powerbook for £400 a while back.

Its not exactly in great shape, although I'm going to buy a new bottom for it, theres dents all over it, and theres a key missing.

I don't really want to sell it though, I don't NEED a powerfull laptop, but I want something a bit more powerfull than 1ghz.

I do a lot of web design, and even though photoshop is universal now, dreamweaver and flash aren't, and there doesn't seem to be any sign that they will be universal any time soon.

As far as their policy on screwups is conserned, I'd expect that if in the event of a screwup, they'd repair the damage.

Oh and the coolness factor to having a 1.92 ghz powerbook is pretty high ;)

Although, I've read that the 1.92 ghz upgrade causes problems, however the 1.75ghz upgrade is fine, so I might opt for the 1.75 ghz upgrade instead, although I'll talk to them about it.

I'd definitely suggest caution and select the 1.75 GHz upgrade, if I were doing it.

While there is a coolness factor, the 1.92 GHz generates more heat and that could be difficult to dismiss, unless you're warming your lunch or coffee.

I've looked several times at MacBooks and they are nice, unless you want the physically bigger (okay, 54 extra pixels too) display and more powerful graphics hardware of the PowerBook before the last lot.

I'd think the upgrade quite good.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
To the OP, did you ever go for this upgrade? Just curious to see how it went?

To everyone else, please stop continually suggesting a MB when the OP has clearly stated on several occasions that the cost of the upgraded processor is significantly less than the cost of a new MB (refurb or not, second hand or not, from the US or not (don't forget the VAT on import to UK))

David

Sam0r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
Birmingham, UK
To the OP, did you ever go for this upgrade? Just curious to see how it went?

To everyone else, please stop continually suggesting a MB when the OP has clearly stated on several occasions that the cost of the upgraded processor is significantly less than the cost of a new MB (refurb or not, second hand or not, from the US or not (don't forget the VAT on import to UK))

David

I decided not to get it upgraded, mianly because I've just started a full time job and I'll be able to afford a whole new laptop.

I'm probably going to go for a 15" 2.16ghz MBP with 2gb of ram.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Think of the warp like the whine that people bitch about. I am not saying that it did not exist, but if it did it existed in a small amount of owners and the issue seems huge due to the fact that bad news travels faster than good news.

I say go for it. While it is not the coveted new machine or new technology, it will extend the life of your powerbook. For me I have zero intentions to ever buy another notebook-at least that is the plan today. I will move to a desktop and keep the powerbook for travel and such. I haven't a need for a high performance desktop and notebook and the plan was always to keep the powerbook for a few years and move to a desktop when I was nearly done or done with school. This is the type of upgrade I would consider. I would move to a faster hard drive (and larger) and do the CPU upgrade. The whole process would scare me but if the company warrants against screw up and malfunction then I'd be all over it.

I hope you do that. But if you feel like you need to do this not because you just want a little jump but because you cannot get your hands on the MBP then I would suggest selling as everyone else is suggesting. But if you're just trying to extend the life and it fits your needs etc etc then do it. 300 is less than anything you'd shell out for a new one even if you sold this one.

thekorksta

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2006
I like the idea of upgrades to extend the life of your laptop, thats if you dont require a modern GPU ect. I once upgraded my G3 400Mhz powerbook to a G4 550 It lasted that bit extra while I done the waiting game on new hardware. Although new equipment seems cheaper these days and makes the upgrade look less attractive.

A little while ago there was a whisper of a dual core CPU from PAsemi that was pin compatible with the last of the G4 powerbooks, but nothing seems to have ever come to fruition. Shame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.