1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

1 Ch Speakers Adapter HELP!

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by keremtezcan, Apr 12, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

keremtezcan

Hello!
    I currently have a set of 6 speakers. The DVD player that they are plugged into says '1 Ch Speakers Out' above the ports. Each speaker has a different coloured cable, for centre, left and right or something like that. There are 6 ports in total. I would like to use the speakers with my Mac, but of course there are no ports that the speakers can use.
    Is there some kind of adapter that combines the 6 cables into a 3.5mm headphone/earphone jack that I could then plug into my computer/iPod?

Thanks. ;)

2. macrumors 601

sammich

The adaptor is called a receiver:

[​IMG]

Either that or you'd need some kind of power amplifier since those speakers you got with your DVD player are (presumably) powered from your DVD player.

3. macrumors 6502

keremtezcan

Yes, I think the receiver would work. Thanks.
    However is there a cheaper version since they cost over £200 on Amazon. Since there are lots of unnecessary ports on the receiver, is there one with just the ports I need?

4. macrumors 601

sammich

You'll have to hunt around. They can be had for a few hundred dollars but you'll need to look up reviews for those. I can't point you to any specific ones but here's a link I dug up just then: http://hometheater.about.com/od/avreceiversreviews/tp/budgetreceiver.htm

Either that or go down to your nearest cheap department/electronics store to see what they have. More often than not you can find one they're trying to get rid of cheap.

5. macrumors 65816

What else is available on your DVD player? Does it have an auxilliary input that you could connect your Mac to?

6. macrumors 6502

keremtezcan

I'm not sure, but even if it had an auxilliary input, how would I connect it to my mac?

7. macrumors 65816

Well it would probably just require a cable with a mini phone plug on one end connected to the earphone jack and left+right RCA plugs on the other end. That's how I connect my Mac to my stereo.

Really, if you don't even know what inputs/outputs you have then I think you need to do a little more research. ;) You should be able to find a user manual for the DVD player on the manufacturer's website if you don't already have a hard copy.