1 cinema or dual 17" displays???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by blazorama, Nov 18, 2003.

1. blazorama macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm about to buy a dual 1.8 g5, and was wondering if I should buy a 20" cinema,(w/ dev discount). Or should I buy 2 3rd party 17" displays instead... I'll get more screen real-estate with the dual 17's for a cheaper price-point... but I'll also get a bunch of clutter, adapters, and they will take up more desk space.. I'm a Flash developer, so I have palettes and an actionscript window to deal with... My 3rd option is to add a second display to the 20" at a later date if I need to... any ideas?? Thanks..
    -J

2. Tom Light macrumors member

I'd probably opt for the...

...20" display, then add a second display (as your budget allows) later.

I'm a web publisher, and I have 23 and 17" Cinema displays.

My second (17") display generally holds my "always running" stuff like e-mail, iChat and server performance stuff.

I use the big display to hold the stuff I'm actually developing/editing, and not having to dodge the other windows (mail, etc.) all the time is very handy.

My desktop space is very limited, so conventional CRTs were not an option. If you have the real estate, you might be able to go that route, however.

Good luck!

It will be interesting to see how fast Apple can deliver the newly announced dual 1.8.

Tom

3. blazorama thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Tom,
    I think that's the route I'm going, plus applecare, usb ports etc... are a plus..
    It says 3-5 in the checkout, but I think that is generically generated..