1 External Hard Drive to 2 Computers???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by michael-appleru, Feb 22, 2007.

1. michael-appleru macrumors regular

I want to connect 1 External Hard Drive to 2 Computers. How do I do this????

I have tryed to use both wirewire ports but when i plugged in the second computer it wnated to dasiychain it to the other one both computers freezed as a result DONT TRY THIS!!

Do I have to get a splitter (Plug spliter into External hard drive then two firewire cords come out of one) is this possible???

kinda like a headphone splitter but with firewire ports
    [​IMG]

2. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

i would probably connect the HD to one computer and then share it over a network.

3. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Yes - you can't just plug it into both USB or FW ports. It doesn't really work like that, for reasons I am not in the mood to go into.

Best to share it over the network.

4. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

On a related note, on the back of my external HD, there is a firewire port, a second firewire port (the i-link looking one) and a USB port.

If I connect it to three different computers at once can it still work? Can I read/write simultaneously?

5. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

CHOOSE Only ONE PORT To Connect A Cable To The Computer

I hope this is a joke post. But just in case:

No. No. No.

One Firewire Cable to the computer OR One USB 2 cable to the computer.

The second FW Cable is to add another FW device - usually another FW HD.

6. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Well, any FW device really. It allows you to daisychain several devices on one computer port without a hub. Like SCSI.

7. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Another = Any

I said "another" meaning "any" and then added "usually" meaning those are mostly what people hang with. Old SCSI had a 7 drive limit. I have 12 HDs hangin off different FW and USB 2 ports on this Quad G5. Plus an external FW DVD Writer and a pair of EyeTV digital broadcast tuners - one FW and one USB 2.

8. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

Wow, maybe you should think about getting a new MacPro with 3 TB of storage lol:p

But that would mean shelling out a lot of $$ and meanting that you would have to move all of those files on External Drives over to your new computer :(

9. Panayotis02 macrumors newbie

I don`t have an internet connection (except from a mobile device which has a 5gb monthly allowance), so is there an other way?