#1 feature you'd like to see in G5 Powerbooks.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Hodapp, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

I for one would love to see higher resolution displays. I use a PC with a UXGA LCD all day at work, and coming home to my Powerbook is like doing everything in a tiny window compared to UXGA where you have almost 4 times the room on screen. On my UXGA display I have room on screen to see my buddy list, email, IRC, a browser window, etc all at once. In SXGA on my PB everything is all stacked on top of each other. I admit that with expose it really does make managing windows a lot easier, but nothing beats a full-screen UXGA browser window.

I would crap my pants if the new powerbooks sported QXGA displays. 2048x1536 = :D :eek: :eek:

I really hope they keep in line with the size/weight of the Powerbooks as well, 1 inch thick and semi-light for their size rules.

2. deryk macrumors regular

3. MetallicPenguin macrumors 6502

Dangit, when I saw the thread title, that's what I was going to say.

The one thing I would like to see is the same look and feel of the Powerbooks that is available now. I feel that if I wait too long, I may miss out on the design that I have fallen in love with.

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

5. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

I would love to see better screen resolutions too. Not extremely high res or I would go nuts with it, but a little bit higher would be perfect. Other thing I would really like is increased battery life to 6 hours of normal use. Faster HD's would also be perfect! Other then that... G5's of course! :D

6. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Re: #1 feature you'd like to see in G5 Powerbooks.

On what size monitor?

2048x1536 on a 17 would be tiny, never mind a 15" ... you wouldn't be able to see anything in a 12"

What good is being able to see your 1600 x 1200 image in photoshop with all your palettes open, when you still have to zoom in 400% - 1600% to get any work done.

just get a second monitor and use the PB dual display feature ...

I'de rather work on two 15" monitors displaying at 1024 x 768 each then one displaying at 2048 x 1536

7. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

9. Hodapp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

Re: Re: #1 feature you'd like to see in G5 Powerbooks.

My UXGA is 15 inch, wouldn't trade it for anything (Well, I'd trade for a higher resolution screen, but that's it.) I love it so much :)

As far as text being so small, that's largely a huge misunderstanding people have. Higher resolution != smaller in most cases. While it is true that a 12 point font will appear smaller on a higher resolution screen, a 16 (or higher) point font will not only appear as the same size, but will also be much crisper because of the extra pixels in the screen the video card can use to render/smooth the font. I'm not that well versed in OSX yet, but it's possible in Windows to make everything the same physical size on a UXGA screen as it is on an SXGA screen, fairly easily too.

10. Hodapp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

A dock would definately be pretty damn cool, but I'd trade a dock for a smaller/lighter Powerbook any day :)

No crap! I was amazed when Apple didn't include the radeon m10 pro in AT LEAST the 17 inch. I bought a PC laptop a few months before they refreshed the powerbooks that has a graphics card with twice as much memory, as well as faster gpu and memory timings.

(That's my one major beef about Macs, their hardware is always technically inferior to PC's. DDR333 was cool like a year ago... And only 5400RPM drives in Powerbooks? IBM makes a Travelstar 7200 RPM 2.5" HD that absolutely SCREAMS.)

11. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Re: Re: Re: #1 feature you'd like to see in G5 Powerbooks.

alright ... but i type in 12 point and in a word document i have to zoom on the page 150 - 200% to be able read clearly (from 3 feet away) with my 17" monitor at 1280 x 1024

as far as getting work done in Photoshop or Final Cut Pro ... i tried working at 1600 x 1600 ... and i had to constantly zoom in to get into the detail ... more so then i do under lower res

12. johnnowak macrumors 6502

13. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

1. G5

2. a 20" display --- just like the one on the iMac

14. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

15. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

With the fuel cell tech discovered by toshiba (I think), this may be entirely possible. I've heard estimates as high as 15+ hours.

It's time for apple to throw the trump card on the whole product line.

My specs:
    single 2.0 Ghz+ G5 at 90 nm
    17 inch w/ dualie's
    250 gig HDD
    128 mb graphics stock, 256 upgrade option
    1 gig ddr 400 standard
    blue laser superdrive standard
    OS 10.4 (the world's first 64-bit OS)
    better voice integration
    flipable screen for tablet mac use
    drawing pad next to trackpad
    two click buttons
    and a partridge in a pear tree
    :)

16. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

And that would make it as portable as the 20" iMac ... LOL

Hmm ... what would i like

MWSF release

G5 1.6 - 2.0
    40 - 60 gig 7200 rpm drive
    expandable to at least 4 gigs of ram
    Firewire 800 across the board
    Bluetooth, airport extreme
    128 MB video card
    superdrive as the only option

17. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

i liked the swappable drives on the old powerbooks.. you could get, what, 10 hours on two batteries?

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'd like a G5 that wouldn't melt the whole machine. A 12 inch display would be good but bigger would probably be necessary to help with heat. It definitely has to be portable...no 17 inch displays.

19. Flickta macrumors 6502

built-in wacom graphic tablet instead of a trackpad.
    That'd make it cool..

20. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

although its highly unlikely i would like apple to include replaceable video card slots, dell and voodoo and some other makers have started doing. but on the other hand, that would extend the life of the mac, and apple wants you to get a new machine.

iJon

21. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

REPLACE THE "ENTER" KEY WITH A "CTRL" KEY!!!

Sorry for yelling, I just wanted to make sure Apple heard. :D

Oh - And replace the right command key with a "Fn" key (so the function cursor keys become one-handed)

22. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I'll second this one. I loved the fact that when I bought my G3/333 in 99 that I could "upgrade" it somewhat by adding a second battery, zip drive, or even a CD-RW!!!

Man, those were the days and by doing so companies like VST could thrive again!

23. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I'd rather like the 2nd enter key to be an Fn key as well. Who the hell needs 2 enter keys on the same side of the keyboard? Or even at all?