1 GB RAM Chip for 12" 1Ghz PB G4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Fahd, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Fahd macrumors regular

Hi,

Where would you suggest I buy a 1 GB RAM chip for my 12" PB? Most places like crucial etc dont even have a 1 GB Chip for the 12" PB. And some other places said 1 GB, but then the fine print said 2 X 512 MB and thats not what I want. The 12" PBs only have 1 expansion slot.

So please let me know where I can get this!

Thanks!

2. logicat2001 macrumors regular

3. kanker macrumors 6502

And be careful buying 3rd party RAM if you'r running 10.3. Ther have been reports of it not agreeing with some lower quality RAM. I'd wait til Crucial or Kingston have it at a *reasonable* price.

Kevin

4. Fahd thread starter macrumors regular

That looks like its for the 867Mhz PB, is it the same type as for the PB 12" 1Ghz (DDR266 PC2100)

Would you suggest buying the RAM later then? My PB works fine right with only 256MB and I dont need the additional RAM immediately. How soon do you think prices would go down on the 1 GB chips? I presume I would need the additional RAM by May 2004.

kanker,

Yes, I am using Panther, thanks for that warning!

5. logicat2001 macrumors regular

First: That vendor has memory for all Mac powerbooks. Try the drop down menu at the top right to search for the correct product.

Second: There are so many other choices between 0 MB and 1 GB. Why not purchase a 512 MB chip? The price is fair and it will make a noticable difference.

The only people I'd suggest the 1 GB chip to, are professionals who are working out in the field. In that case, every spare MB counts.

Why are you interested in getting more memory? I get the feeling that you're hesitating? Do you really believe it's money well spent and you have a need for it right now, or has somebody else told you that "you just have to get more memory!"

Is your laptop unusable? Are you having problems running your required applications?

Best,
    Logicat

edit: Sorry Fahd, I just reread your message and you've answered those questions right there !

The final answer is up to you. 512 MB will make a noticiable difference, especially with real-time apps, media apps, or many simultaneously running apps.

If that's work $150, then go for it. If, as you say, everything's cool for now, just forget it and worry about it in the future when you really NEED it.

6. Fahd thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I'll wait for now. The reason I need more RAM is...

I'm currently still using my PC Laptop for most purposes. I'd like to sell it and get some money back. But if I was to do that right now, I would have to get VPC with Win XP Pro. That adds a big overhead to memory usage.

I have Mail, Safari, Terminal, Ichat, and MSN Messenger open almost 24/7.

My options are...

I could sell my PC Laptop now, but then I would need VPC + more memory to support VPC plus my other "24/7" apps.

Wait a while until I port my PC dependent apps to OSX and then sell the PC Laptop, then I wont need VPC and maybe I wont even need the additional memory then. Only thing is the more I wait the lesser I would be able to get back on my PC laptop.

I guess in the end, the second option saves me more money.

7. logicat2001 macrumors regular

Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck!

For curiosity's sake, what PC apps do you rely on? What do you need running 24-7 that you would hang on to both laptops?

8. rfenik macrumors regular

rfenik

Uh - i have an 867 and opened it up - you cannot put a gig of ram in it because the 128 that's in it is built in. you can't take it out. the max you can put in the 867s is 640.

-ryan

9. logicat2001 macrumors regular

ryan,

There are now 1 GB, single chips available for your very own PB.

So, in fact, you can install over 1 GB into your PB.

10. Fahd thread starter macrumors regular

Here's a list off the top of my head...

Photoshop (I know they have an OSX version, but the PC versions already been paid for.)
    Visual Studio (Not available for OSX AFAIK)
    ColdFusion MX of Macromedia Studio MX (Not available for OSX)
    Several MS SDK's not available on OSX
    I'm sure there are some programs I dont use too often but still require that are not available on OSX.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I'm not sure why I bought an Apple computer in the first place.