1 GB vs 1.25 GB?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GFLPraxis, Mar 29, 2007.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

My mom picked up a refurb MacBook Pro. We used the migration assistant to pull everything from her PowerBook (which had a full 40 GB drive)...but it seems to be running really slow.

I'm going to back up her data and reinstall fresh and manually copy her important data back. In the meantime, however, I ordered 2 GB of RAM for my MacBook and pulled out the 2x 256 MB sticks.

She's got a single 1 GB stick in her MacBook Pro (it's Core 2 Duo). If I stick one of my extra 256 MB sticks in the MBP, will it run faster (1.25 GB), or will it run slower due to it not being paired?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'd go for the 1.25 GB of RAM as well - it will run faster than 1 GB alone. The boost in performance when installing RAM in matched pairs is more of a "bonus." ...You won't loose any performance by installing a 1 GB stick and a 250 MB stick, your just not using the RAM to it's full potential. Apple Link.

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I agree, the more ram the better. :)

FJ

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Some semantic correction here:

As far as I'm concerned, 1.25GB of RAM will make the Mac perform faster, not run faster.
    Somehow, to me, there is a distinction. Perhaps I find "run" to be far too general a term.