1 gig MacBook/Pro RAM $99 at BestBuy.com

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rtdgoldfish, Sep 20, 2006.

1. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Came accross this last night and ordered it today: Corsair 1GIG PC5300 DDR2 SODIMM

They were out of it at my local store so I ordered two of them online today. Found a free shipping code on any order over $99 so this has got to be the best deal I've seen on RAM in a while.

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

i'm so glad i upgraded my MB's ram before these prices went crazy...

3. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

That's a pretty good deal considering how the market is right now with memory prices.

4. meepm00pmeep macrumors 6502

meepm00pmeep

wow, that's cheap... are ALL RAM compatible with Apple computers?

5. scott523 macrumors 6502a

Haha that Corsair 1GB RAM chip comes from Samsung (enlarged photo). I'm definitely getting those ASAP

6. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

That seems expensive. I bought 2 gigs of ram for my wife's macbook at the local Fry's for $150. If I would have bought it online, it would have been $130.

7. bep207 macrumors 6502

why did prices go crazy

i am planning on buying ram soon but dont NEED it right now

will the price go down significantly soon?

8. vega07 macrumors 65816

I'm so happy I bought my ram RIGHT before the prices skyrocketed.

9. scott523 macrumors 6502a

Well, the fact that those Corsair RAM came from Samsung is a surprise. Samsung is known for making good memory (which also supplies the nanos) so seeing the price of $100 is awesome (even with the fact that memory is right now under high demand). The original 1GB RAM Samsung brand found at OWC's website was priced at $169 each, which is absurd.

10. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

So, we're sure this will work in my 2Ghz white Macbook?

If so, I think I'll order online and get in-store pickup since my local BB has it in stock.

11. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

It fits the specs for the MacBook, so yeah it should work.

If it was 2 x 512, I'd probably buy it.

12. dynetk macrumors newbie

Why is Corsair using Samsung chips a surprise? They've used them in the past. Corsair doesn't manufacture the chips. They're best known for selling high quality memory.

13. generik macrumors 601

generik

I think that is not a photo of the actual module, Corsair modules actually have a green sticker with their logo on it

14. JMies419 macrumors 6502

Wow best price I have seen lately, if this is good stuff I may go pick up 2gigs for my macbook today!! :D

15. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the post.

I think I will go buy one for my not-even-purchased-yet MBP and hold onto it.

I like doing business with BestBuy although most of their employees have less that adequate computer intelligence. Plus, if it doesn’t work or something is wrong returns are simple.

16. trueheart78 macrumors member

Wow, beats newegg by $20 a pop, except they are gonna charge tax. Regardless, I may swing by after work and pick up a set, could really use the performance boost on my dell. (not a mac user... yet)

17. n8236 macrumors 65816

Keep in mind it's the CHIPS on the ram that matter more, not so much as the brand itself.

18. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

19. saga macrumors regular

I am so on it. Called my local Best Buy, and they have 3x1gb in stock. Going to get two for my blackbook. I am at 2x512 now, and was planning to do this in the future, but I can't pass up the price.
    peace.

20. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Man I am going to get this today and I have 10% off from them so no tax for me. But is this better that the one in newegg? I have only used corsair on my pc so I dunno about how well it is for macs.

21. JMies419 macrumors 6502

So is this pretty good memory? Just as good as crucial or g.skill? What do you guys think?

22. Buhbuhb macrumors member

Buhbuhb

I'm going to be buying a MacBook Pro soon and given that an upgrade to 2GB is 270 I might as well install cheaper ram at a lower cost. I've never changed Ram in a computer before though- is it relatively simple? Are there any sites or guides that would explain how to do it for me? Thanks for any help...

23. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Very simple. With a laptop it's generally just, unscrew the bottom panel, pop in the RAM stick, screw cover back on. Popping in the RAM itself is a two-step operation, you push in at an angle and then swing it down until it clicks into place. I wouldn't say it requires a delicate touch, but you don't want to manhandle it either. As long as you take your time you'll be absolutely fine.

You may need to go to the dollar store to buy a set of jeweller's screwdrivers to get the size you need to unscrew the panel.

24. Buhbuhb macrumors member

Buhbuhb

Yeah I figured it was that simple. Wasn't sure if there was something else that was crucial to know about. So I assume from previous comments that Samsung ram (Above link) is very high quality and would be compatible with a MacBook Pro which would also run smoothly alongside apples preinstalled ram?