1 Gig RAM for MDD Powermacs

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by TyleRomeo, Mar 11, 2004.

1. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

where can you buy 1 gig sticks of ram ( DDR PC2700) for powermacs running at 167MHZ system bus? I know they have them for powerbooks, how come crucial doesn't sell it? Is the powermac still limited to only 2 GB of ram by its 32-bit structure?

Tyler

2. Opteron macrumors 6502

I'm not 100% sure on this but the computer may be configured only to recognise RAM sticks up to 512MB capasity. Though post here if you manage to fit 4 GB of RAM into it.

Note you don't need apple RAM.

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

It doesn't matter if he can get 1GB sticks. All Apples prior to the G5 are incapable of seeing more then 2GB of RAM. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure about this.

4. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would the ram from crucial anyway and not from apple but weren't previous macs like the G3 powerbooks that were limited to 192MB of ram now can handle 512MB of ram.

I know apple now seems to have stuck with 2GB max with 32 bit systems. I have 1GB in my powermac. I just want to know if i'm better off just buying two more 512MB sticks and just hang out at 2GB of ram or wait to buy two 1GB sticks and push the powermac upto 3GB of RAM so i can get the most of it in 10 years.

Tyler

5. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

I wander if it's possible to add some 1GB sticks into an eMac, I read that someone did it with an iMac... because then I would buy one, and add 2GB ram so its a nice powermachine to use for my scanner & photoshop batches

maybe when I buy one I will be so crazy to overclock it and add 2 more internal harddisks so its cheaper than buying an iMac or G4MDD since I don't need USB2.0 or an PCI slot, and with a patch mentioned on this site I can extend my desktop with an extra monitor, so not just mirroring :)

greetings J

PS: I want a G5, but I don't have the funds now...

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I think the system hardware will not recognize more than 2GB even if you put it in. Though I could be wrong. I'm sure it will read the 1GB cards but I don't think that matters.

7. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

8. PismoGuy macrumors member

Weren't the first G4 towers (Sawtooth) capable of handling 4 GB of RAM? If thats the case the the heck is up with the last G4 Towers?
    I have a 500 G3 Powerbook and it is said by apple that it can only support up to 512 MB of RAM but I worked on some at school (tech) with a Gig; and it was reconized. I wonder if I shove two 1GB sticks in..... awhhh :)

9. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

see im just wondering since only 512 sticks were avail. when the MDD came out in the summer of 02. i don't know why apple can't just up the system to see past 2Gigs. if PCs can see up to 4Gigs and XP is a 32 bit OS and the machines are 32 bit. What gives?

Tyler

10. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

it's an architecture thing, built right into the processor. the 1.6ghz G5s can address 4 gigs of RAM, and the dual 1.8s can address 8. the older machines simply weren't built to talk to more than 2Gbs, and nothing short of replacing their processors will allow them to do so.

it comes down to simple binary. think of your RAM as a big bank of pigeonholes, each storing one bit of memory. in real simple terms, let's say you have a 2-bit memory. that's two pigeonholes, named 0 and 1. your computer can say things like "give me what's at memory address 0" and "write this to address 1." not a very powerful computer, huh?

but if you have 4 pigeonholes, you now need to use 2-bit addresses to get to them all: 00, 01, 10, and 11. but what if your computer was built to only use 1-bit addresses? well, you'll never be able to talk to more than 2 pigeonholes, no matter how many you have.

now multiply that scenario by a few billion, and that's why your G4 can't use more than 2Gb of RAM. it just wasn't built to send addresses of more than a certain length. that's a hardware thing, having to do with the way the processor is connected to the RAM. the G5s have a "wider" connection to the RAM that allows them to send longer addresses and thus access more memory.

if anyone is interested in this kind of thing (explanations of computer architecture that even non-technical guys like me can understand) i highly recommend Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software, by Charles Petzold. it's fantastic book that walks you through all of this and much more.

11. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah i get the 32 bit portion of the system but I don't think this has anything to do with the processor. the g5 1.6 is limited to 4GB of ram since it only has 4 ram slots and 1 Gig sticks are availible. (i think 2 gig sticks are about $1,000 a piece.) while the 1.8 and 2.0s go up 8gigs since they have 8 ram slots. I don't see why when 2 Gig sticks come out, that apple raises the g5 upto 16GB of ram. i know that what apple advertises isnt what can actually go inside the machine. since the wallstreet Powerbooks were limited to 192MB of ram but now can hold upto 512MB. so with larger ram sticks coming out the systems can go higher than they could when they were first release. the only thing holding that back is a 2GB barrier for all macs that are based on a 32 bit computer.

this is the same with hard drives. apple says that the new powermacs can hold 500Gb of internal storage. But what about IBMs new 400GB drive that just came out. Now it appears that you can store 800GB of internal drive space with 2 of these babies.

Tyler