1 in 4 Britons are Porkers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Stella, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/12/16/051216193457.beavpxab.html

Britain, the 3rd world country, nearly catching up with the usa with the number of fat people..

Quote 1st paragraph:
    British adults have got fatter in the last 10 years with almost one in four now officially obese, according to new official statistics. In men, obesity rates almost doubled in 10 years, from 13.2 percent in 1993 to 23.6 percent in 2004, a study by the Health and Social Care Information Centre found.

2. tristan macrumors 6502a

Welcome to chubbytown. Population, me and you.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

4. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Third world?

I blame the particularly well known fast food restaurant with the "golden arches" logo and the slogan: "I'm lovin' it".

Not to name any names or anything. :p

5. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

I blame the people who eat there 30 times a week.

6. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Good point. If you took fast food joints away, where would they go!?

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

We should give those folks a copy of Super Size Me. :D

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Wouldn't necessarily blame McDs and I wonder where these 1 in 4 Brits are because down in London it appears more like 1 in 10-12, perhaps.

There's plenty more ways than the Golden Arches to pile on the pounds in this country, especially at this time of the year. Fried breakfast, anyone?

9. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

OK no probs, and maybe a kebab for lunch and a giant slab of Dairy Milk in front of the telly tonight. :)

11. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

It seems they're in Scotland. There was a report a couple of days ago regarding Scotland's obesity problem – apparently, the number of obese young Scots is running at double the national average. So all those fried Mars Bar munchers are raising the national average, even though the problem isn't maybe quite so bad in other parts of the UK, where the population is made up of svelte, well toned Yorkshiremen and Kiwi ex-pats. :D

Of course, maybe you're not seeing all the London based obese because they're sat at home eating buns...

12. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

As soon as I read your reference to Super Size Me, I remembered that a co-worker taped Morgan Spurlock's documentary for me and that I have not watched it as of yet. As an honorary tribute to McDonalds, many people have remarked that it was well-done. Who else on the forum has seen it?

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What? What? Is that the sweet, sweet sound of rejecting personal accountability I hear?

"I wouldn't be fat if McDonald's didn't have such good commercials."
    No, you wouldn't be fat if you weren't a lazy oaf that refused to eat right and got off yer flabby @ss occasionally to get some exercise.

Lethal

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Giant slab of choccy? Oh dear, that's not good for you, even if it makes you feel good.

Truly, it seems that all of the English meals I've seen are rather heavy. Perhaps, you lot need to think about becoming Asians. :)

15. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

The 3rd world country?

Er... yeah... eat less, do more, be healthy

16. dcv macrumors G3

I've no doubt that Britons are getting larger... but I do doubt the "1 in 4" statistic slightly.

This is hardly a comprehensive survey given that the population of Britain is almost 60 million... hmmm... let's test 0.00017% of the population and call the results "official" :rolleyes:

17. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

If the selection method of these 10000 was good, then 10000 is enough to make statistics with a very low error margin, but if the selection method has some kind of bias, it will of course skew the result.

I think some of the reason why we don't see that many obese walking about, is that if you walk about a lot you don't become obese as easily. ;)

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I blame the rampant net/channel surfing... :eek:

... making those 1 in 4 couch potatoes, who may find the clown from the golden arches running after them and offering them a slice of their business and nice bath in hot oil.

19. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

Its on digital cable all the time. I didnt really think much of it, but I'm sure there have been a few people affected by it.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't suppose the basic pub grub meal is any less caloric than McDonald's fare -- loaded with sausages, beans, chips, and potatoes in all of their many and glorious forms. It always amazed me that Britons weren't always chubbier than Americans, but in the past it seems whenever I saw a truly pear-shaped person in Britain, they turned out to be an American.

21. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I wouldn't touch fast food with a barge pole. Home made junk maybe. :p

A friend of a friend had the pleasure of biting into one of "their" fine burgers only to find a big pus filled sist ... it burst in his mouth. :eek:

The thought kind of put me off eating anything I haven't prepared on my own for a while. If i buy a sandwich or something, I have to look through it to make sure there are no yuccky bits.

URGH *shudder*

I'm 5'8, 10 and a half stone :p

22. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Why is this in the Poly forums? Does this fit as a "social issue" that needs to restrict the number of participants to those with a certain post count? I don't get it. :confused:

23. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Maybe they feel the weightier issues fare well in here?

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It should obviously have been in the Roly Poly forums. An easy mistake to make.

25. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Right. It makes chewing the fat more palatable.