1 iPod + 2 accounts = PITA!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by MacBoobsPro, Oct 13, 2006.

1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

This has been doing my box in for ages. I have 2 user accounts set up in OSX one for me and one for my bro. I have an iPod nano which is solely used by me. It sits in its dock until I need it. Whenever I open iTunes the iPod erases itself then reloads all my music again because when my brother opens iTunes with his OSX user account it wipes all my music off and puts his crap on there. If while in my bros iTunes I tell the iPod not to autosync. It affects my account too. So i will go baack to my account, open up iTunes and it will be set to 'not auto sync'.

How the hell can I stop my brothers music being copied onto my iPod while keeping my music on it with two user accounts?

I may send feedback to Apple about 'locking' an iPod to a specific user account. It seems stupid that this happens.

Anyone have any ideas? :(

2. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i'm just thinking out loud
    the problem is probably caused that both user use the same preference file

itune probably store the preference file in the root preference folder, so if there's a way for you to tell itune to store the preference in the user preference folder, it might work...

another thought... you might not be able to change that (where the itune store its preference, afterall, it's itune's preference :)) but if you drag the itune app file to the user app folder (like copy the itune to your user app folder as well as his user app folder, and remove the one in the root app folder...), that might automatically change where the preference is stored to the user preference folder, in which case would also solve the problem of the preference conflict...

provided, it's the preference file that's causing the problem...

3. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I dont want two copies of iTunes as that will inevitably lead to more conflicts. Surely there must be a way to do this?

Thanks for the info tho. :)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There should still be an iTunes PLIST file in each user's Preferences folder. Maybe try deleting/removing your brother's com.apple.iPod.plist and then when you use his account with the iPod plugged in, tell it not to update/sync (as you have been). I know you've been doing this already but starting with a fresh PLIST file might help unless you're right and it's a bug in iTunes/OSX. :eek:

Just out of interest, are you using Fast User Switching? Does it still happen if you actually log out of your account (Apple menu style) and then log into your brother's?