1 keyboard 2 computers a/b - not kvm

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by railthinner, Jun 22, 2005.

1. railthinner macrumors regular

Jul 1, 2002
    I have a powerbook and a desktop I'd like to control with one usb keyboard and am wondering if anyone knows of a keyboard with two usb cable outs and perhaps a simple a/b switch. I'm familiar with kvm switches but I don't need the v part. I just want to be able to control my powerbook when it's off to the side with the same keyboard I use for my G3. And the monitor, which I occasionally use as a second for the pb, has a dual input switch already.
  2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    You don't have to use the V portion. Keep is simple. Used KVMs are not difficult to find. NTE makes a varity of KVM including KMs. I can't say that I love NTE products 100%, but they do make a lot of diffrent switchers.

Perhaps a simple USB switch.

Otherwise I would find a good usb KVM with a manual switch, or OSX drivers and wait to see it on Amazon auctions or ebay.
  3. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

May 10, 2005
    kvms can be had for <20.

just use the km part :)
  4. railthinner thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 1, 2002
    hmmmm, yeah, I was just hoping for something a little cleaner. Less clutter you know. I've got so many gadgets, switches wire and cables around already. But if the product doesn't exist, it doesn't exist.

hadn't seen the usb switches.

well, thanks.
  5. hhlee macrumors 6502

May 19, 2005
    do you have your own network? if you do, use programs like synergy (from sourceforge, not the itunes controller proggie) or osx2x

great programs, if you can get them to work. you can essentially use your powerbook's mouse and keyboard to control the desktop or vice versa, no need for additional components are wires
  6. kant macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2004
    4 port switchable usb hub - 2 uplinks

You need one of these:

They're damn difficult to find considering how frigging useful they are. Used to see one or two on ebay at any given time, but none lately.

I have 2 - one for use and one still in the plastic.

It comes with an AC power adapter, but the only time I've needed that is for use with a bus powered usb2.0 2.5" drive.
  7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Many less expensive KVM switches, even though that have USB ports, if they have PS/2 ports as well are not compatible with Macs because either they HAVE to have a PS/2 keyboard, or they require the PS/2 port for power.

Be careful to check compatibility before buying.
  8. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

May 10, 2005
    Hey, good call as I didn't think of that.

Seriously though, I have VNC on all my computers in my house so I can just open them all up and control them through my powerbook as I stroll around. I have an enertainment center I made out of an old PC laptop that has a tv tuner (really it does) and I can just vnc into that and run vlc and watch all my movies right on my tv with my powerbook as a remote :)

oh and run any two video clients with your pc to overcome MS copyright protection output block on the tv out. wow, that was just too hard to crack, Bill... :)
  9. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    The Apple keyboard has 2 USB connections and you can order one through
    Apple store accesories or just pick one up at a reseller for around $29.00