1 library ... 2 computers

Discussion in 'iPod' started by TyWahn, Dec 4, 2006.

1. TyWahn macrumors 6502

TyWahn

Right now, I have an external FW HD with my iTunes library hooked to my G4 iMac .. I will soon introduce a MacBook to the family, and was wondering if I could have the FW drive be central library for both computers.. I know about sharing tunes over my network, but I imagine I will be doing all the CD encoding on the new machine vs. the dreadfully slow set up I have now.

Any ideas, suggestions? Your personal setups?
    Thanks..

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i've tried to do this, but haven't found a good way to do it. i think i figured out a way once, but you couldn't listen to the same song on both computers at the same time (not that you would anyways, but still) something about you couldn't write to the xml file from both computers at the same time or something

good luck

3. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

If you find the iMac too slow, you could always get yourself a cheap PC off ebay (you can get 2Ghz Dells for less than £100 in the UK) and use that for your iTunes library.

You could install VNC on the PC so you can remotely access the PC from one of your Macs.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Was that using iTunes 7's new multiple library feature? If you start iTunes while holding OPTION, you should be given the choice of starting a new library or using an existing one. Navigating to the external drive on both machines may work but I reckon you'll struggle when both machines are using it at the same time, as twoodcc said. :eek:

5. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Could you not use some kind of iTunes Network Remote (Can't remember the name of the one I use)

It means you store the Library on one machine and just use a remote to control it over the network on the other. Means both machines have to be on and the sound only comes out of the one with the Library on (But using some sort of Airport Express Black Magic im sure that could be sorted) but you can control it. Works well for me.