1 more month until WWDC/Mac OS X Lion is released!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by SR71, May 3, 2011.

1. macrumors 65816

I just realized that in about a month, Apple's WWDC will be starting and Mac OS X Lion will most likely be released around the same time! Who else is excited? :)

2. macrumors 65816

I think it will take at the very least another month(or couple of weeks) after WWDC before Lion gets released so developers can test the GM build.

3. macrumors 68000

The chances that Lion will be released is zero. Apple always distributes the golden master to developers before the production release and the current preview isn't close. Likely they will release a feature complete beta with production for the end of summer.

4. macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I'll be excited when Lion hits 10.7.3ish so that it's stable and worth buying :D.

Though I am kind of excited to hear about how it performs and all of the new features we might not have heard much about.

5. macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Announced, yes. Released probably not. They tend to release major updates to OS X, a few months after announcing it.

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

Aww... I was all excited and this is my first Mac and I figured that they'd announce it at their developer conference, but I guess I was wrong. :( Hopefully by the end of July it'll be out... hell, I'm hoping for end of June haha, but with what you guys have said, I don't see that happening.

7. macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Oh...no reason not to be excited.
    They should be more details at the conference
    Hopefully some more feature ie. the sort that get a full page on the OS X website.

We should see a firm release date instead of just "summer", but don't be to surprised if it's towards the end summer.

8. macrumors 6502a

Same here. I'll stick with the solid, stable, familiar Snow Leopard for a while before jumping to Lion. It sounds like they're making some major changes with Lion, which of course tends to mean there'll be some hiccups/snags/bugs that could be quite headache inducing.

How many of my programs that are now running smoothly will suddenly crash or refuse to run entirely under Lion? I don't know ... but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

9. macrumors 68030

tkermit

I wouldn't be surprised if it was only released at the end of September. Probably a bit earlier though.

10. macrumors 68000

Well they did say it'll be released in Summer, so there is a possibility, but golden master hasn't been released yet, so who knows.. I don't mind waiting since I'm running OSX Lion Developer Preview 2 :p

The sad thing is there is no rosetta support :(.. There are already applications I cannot run, for example emulators, there are no new versions, so can't use them..

11. macrumors regular

lion release

i talked with an apple tech support rep she hinted that lion will be out end of this month or beginning of next month so will see

12. macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Considering WWDC isn't until next month Lion will not be out in May.

13. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are you sure Lion is going to be released at WWDC? I think its more likely apple will give the date that it will be available, i.e., August 1st, September 15th, etc.

Given the stability issues being reported here, I'd say apple is not ready to release the OS yet.

14. macrumors 65816

shenfrey

I disagree, I think they may hand out the final developer preview which will most likely be GM (Gold Master) and then roll out the retail copy within a month or two.

Thoughts?

15. macrumors 6502a

Right. With a new big feature that will be revealed during the presentation.