1% of adults asexual!

Discussion in 'Community' started by wPod, Oct 15, 2004.

1. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

"One in 100 adults asexual"

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/10/14/asexual.study/index.html

i thought that article on cnn.com was rather interesting, but a little inacurate. in my experience its more like 25% of women!!! and to my knowledge about 0% of men! i would think more people are asexual and dont admit to it because they feel socially obligated to have sex at some point, usually once they are maried.

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I think they should all buy the T-shirt described in the article that way the rest of us would know not to bother talking to them in bars!

3. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

4. belair macrumors 6502

belair

I don't know if you can be totally asexual.
    Do you think one can never feel attracted to anyone?
    If there is attraction, even if its not purly sexual, there is some kind of conection and that kind of connection should make up for good sex and once the sex is good you are not asexual anymore.

Maybe I am too simplsitic.
    Maybe I am just one of those "unaware" ones they describe in the text.

5. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Maybe it's just me but I consider that even more bizarre then being gay.
    And I do have gay friends. I just don't understand *shrugs* whatever I don't want to get into it here. I think not being interested in some form of sex is just down right weird. I mean I can't believe that these people have NEVER walked past a man or woman and thought "damn I'd like to get a piece of that"

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i knew a guy back in high school that i would classify as asexual, he just didnt care about girls, and he didnt care about guys, he paid no attention to either, he had friends of both sexes, but no attraction whatsoever, it was weird because i would be like check her out and he paid it no mind, perhaps he was gay and just didnt know it yet, but i doubt that seeing that it was an all boys catholic hs, so i think if he was gay it would have surfaced somehow, which is what leads me to believe that he is a sexual

7. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

I think they're referring to the choice of celibacy in a social context rather than asexual as in being neither one sex or another in a physical sense.

Made a good headline to grab the "I must have new stimulus" - printed media buying brigade. Another non story spun for a bored audience.

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

No, it has nothing to do with choosing celibacy, it appears to refer to a person who is neither heterosexual nor homosexual, someone incapable of biological 'romantic' feelings for anyone, regardless of gender. I'm sure they could have sex with someone if they felt pressured, but they have no desire to, and are not attracted to them. i think this a very curious study, i'd like to see more work put into it... particularly since the mechanism responsible could lend great insight into the cause for homosexuality... tho i've said before it doesn't matter if they find a cause, they'll still deny gays rights.

Fortunately in this case, the asexual people would really require no rights they don't already have...

i knew someone in HS that i always referred to as asexual, because just like the study said, he wasn't attracted to women and i don't think he was attracted to men. Of course, his strict Catholic upbringing would have probably repressed that anyway. I'm going to get in touch with some mutual friends to see if he's ever dated anyone since.

paul

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that the statement of "no interest" carries more weight than "asexual." Many have no interest, but it's an episodic situation. Many medications can cause this situation also.

10. heyadol macrumors member

Maybe celibate and abstinent aren't the right words for it but is asexual an accurate description? I thought that meant something that had both sets of organs and can reproduce of it's own volition.

11. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

That's the badger. :)

Either way there's not going to be much hope for reproduction.

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Asexual, scientifically speaking, refers to reproduction not involving sex.

It has been taken from the English language and used to fill a gap in the previously sparse or derogatory gender lexicon.

The same thing happened with homophobia, which is not a psychological term for "fear of homosexuals."

A more fitting term would be nonsexual, because asexual implies that they can reproduce autonomously.

13. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

My iMac G3 (happy mac) is asexual but my G5 wants to get a 3.6 Ghz Pentium 4 based PC pregnant. :eek:

14. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

that's what i always thought too, take the humble earthworm for example (is that what you call a nightcrawler here in the US??)

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I think you are confusing asexuality in things like worms (which reproduce asexually) and hermaphrodites.

I don't know... I mean, I'm not gay (not that there's anything wrong with that), but after my last relationship, I was thinking about giving it up for good. She was a bit of a psycho, and it did not end well. I still kinda date, and when sex isn't part of the equation, it makes things less awkward. But when I'm involved in a relationship, it's kinda there anyway. I just try to let it happen naturally (so to speak). I'm still really attracted to women though, so I guess that doesn't count.

Right now I'm about a thousand miles away from the girl I'm seeing, so the only sex I'm getting is over the phone.

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I dub thee "telesexual."

17. macaddictann macrumors member

This does seem to be real. I saw a site on it. There's an asexual message board, but that seems to cover a variety, including those who like one or both sexes but don't like sex, people who don't care about anything, people who like kissing but don't want to go further...My, what a fun spectrum we have here.

Myself, I'm het; well, technically, I'm bi, but that doesn't matter. But I don't like people touching me. So what am I? I've been dubbed "weirdsexual." But that doesn't cover it. Celibate implies a choice based on one's path in life, like focusing on a career or joining a convent. What are those of us who like guys as long as they stay two feet away at all times, minimum?

18. Awimoway macrumors 65816

When I first saw this story, I instantly thought of a rumor I heard once about Tom Cruise being asexual. The story goes that his marriage to Kidman was an arrangement they worked out while filming Days of Thunder as a way for him to quell rumors and for her to gain notoriety, boosting her career. Totally unsubstantiated rumor, of course, but when I heard it, I had no idea asexuality was a common (if you can call 1% common) problem.

19. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I think it's safe to say that, no matter whether it fits into various religious groups' neat little pictures of The Way Things Ought To Be, there is a wide spectrum of sexual appetites and aversions, every combination under the sun being possible. I think it's also safe to say that some are nature and some are nurture.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

:D