1 PC company selling OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zap2, Jun 10, 2005.

1. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

IF you could have apple let ONE pc company make computers running on OSX who would it be and why??? ANd what chip company AMD or Intel

AlienWare would be nice, but there such a gaming PC company ,but i would still like it. I'd have them use a AMD just becuz apple is going to be using intel. ALienwate's computer also look nice.

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Averatec, because they make really good stuff and their support is the best I've ever seen. They also make Tablet PC's, small laptops, and large laptops.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If I had to choose, I'd say HP would do Apple the most justice.

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yeah good point, it would most likely be HP anyway due to the HP+iPod thingy.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Oh yeah, I've really gotta strongly disagree with you here. I reckon the Alienware machines are horrible, the Dells almost look better IMO. Personally, I hate that 'gamer' look.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I would have to say Lenovo, and to limit it to the IBM Thinkpads.

Don't think I need to say why... :p

7. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I agree with you. I went and saw them for the first time and I have to say I wasn't impressed. The first thing that through me off was that I couldn't find how many MHz or GHz the laptops were. I thought that was really werid. It just said the processor type.

8. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Dell hands down.

Dell is kicking the PC industries tail they are the most innovatice company short of Apple.

Michael Dell is one of my heros in terms of business. If anyone could do it, it would be them.

As for the processor, I could careless as long as it works.

Mike

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

But Brother Michael, Dell generally uses the cheapest components available whereas HP goes for higher quality stuff. Surely, HP would be a better choice.

Plus, I don't think the innovation part really comes in here. If Apple ever did this, they wouldn't want a company like Dell stealing their thunder by creating innovative machines running OSX.

10. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

e Machines.

Def. e Machines

I dont want to start a rumor, but Steve Jobs told me that Apple was working closely with e Machines developers on the new Macintel specs and designs! YAY!

</sarcasm>

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I don't understand why the PC weenies keep chanting Alienware. If there's any real PC-based counterpart to Apple (in design and awesomeness) it would be Falcon Northwest.

12. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

bah... VooDooPC

http://www.voodoopc.com

13. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

We'll have to see the Lenovo thinkpads, but the IBM's are the only PC laptops that I'll use anymore.

BEN

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Thank God you're joking! A Mac that looks like the American flag... :D

15. b-randomly macrumors newbie

If it weren't already gone, I'd go with Liebermann Inc. They seemed to have known what they were doing, even if they made some of the best vaporware ever.

16. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I don't think I could see Dell, HP/Compaq with OS X. To me those PCs read 'cheap' and lower quality (although I do down a Compaq :rolleyes: ) and that wouldn't go good with OS X and other Apple apps. Out of all the PC companies that I know of, I actually prefer Alienware's style and I could picture an Alienware with OS X - they both have the unique style to them, IMO. And if OS X started to be good for gaming like current PCs, I think it would be a good choice. And maybe Sony to. They tend to have that 'coolish' look to them. But in end, aesthetics aside, the PC company that would run OS X would have to use quality components and such.

But right now I'm just happy OS X is on my Power Mac :D

17. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

IBM. Their Thinkpads are thought of highly in business sectors, and by running OS X, Apple could definately make some head way into the business sector.

18. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

How 'bout instead of going with a company, we're just allowed to build our own computers and put OS X on them. :) :)

19. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

IBM no longer makes personal computers--ThinkPads or anything else. Lenovo makes and sells personal computers under the IBM name.

20. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Booooo

Mac OS X on a PC? Why? Can I vote none? PCs suck, all of them. They just do by their very nature, it doesn't matter if they're faster or if they're cheaper or even if they're better looking (which they aren't), they suck because they put business and "features" and megahertz and lowest common denominator BS designed by focus groups and marketing pinheads and technical elitists ahead of the user experience. Apple offers a friendly closed world which gives peace of mind, ease of use, productivity, and stability and that is their #1 strength. It would just be wrong... spiritually and morally wrong... to put Mac OS X on a PC. Mac OS X is the Mac OS, not the Dell OS or the Alienware OS. It's a component of a larger system called the Macintosh. It's not intended to be removed from this context. Let the PCs have Windows and Linux, let's keep the Mac OS for the Mac.

21. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

How about we just let Apple manufacture their own computers?

Obviously, I wouldn't allow Apple to license other computer manufacturers to build their own computers with OS X running on them. Why? Because I want my stability and rock-solid OS running correctly. Another reason is because I want high quality components already built into my computer, such as FireWire 800, etc. Mac OS X wouldn't be the same running on a different manufacturer's computer would it? I wouldn't think so...

22. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Nuff said ;)

23. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

...A Mac IS a PC. PC = Personal Computer.

And, they'll be even more PC-like in terms of the typical platform use of the name in a year. Are you one of the impotent whiners who's bellyaching about the x86 move, I wonder?

I think selling OS X on its own and competing with MS directly at this juncture would be suicide. I also think if they weather this transition and within five years are gaining market-share, they'd consider it. Who knows what the future will bring? No one, not even Steve Jobs.

24. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

My Dell didn't have cheap compenents in it when I started upgrading it. (which was because it was used and so it was a little dated).

Also, HP is in sad shape right now. Their printers and ink sales are what is keeping them above water.

Mike

25. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

No, a Mac is a Mac, and a PC is a PC, and a Mac is **NOT** a PC. You know very well what I meant and what those terms mean in their common usage. And no, I am not bellyaching about the x86 move, I am bellyaching about the thought of running the Macintosh OS on a PC, which the Mac is not.