1 week in, a few issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nthcore, Sep 23, 2004.

1. nthcore macrumors newbie

Hi. So I got my first ever mac last week and have been loving it. But not as much as I thought due to a few glitches. I guess I had this dream that it'd be the most perfect system ever... anyway, I was wondering if a anyone had any ideas on a couple of things...

First, I'm trying to access a drive from my laptop - I've removed it from the laptop, but it in a firewire enclosure and plugged it in. Presto, both partitions mount and display on my desktop. The first partition (C Drive on my PC) is all great, super fast copy over of a bunch of documents I have on that. But the 2nd partition - no such luck :-( I can see the couple of directories in the root, but each of those all appear empty. Then when i try to unmount it, it doesn't unmount - the first partition goes, but the second is still displayed on the desktop and in the finder. if I power off the drive, or unplug it, then I get a kernel panic. I checked in the system.log (I'm a unix guy originally, a reason I switched so where else would one look) and see the following error lines

Sep 23 16:59:17 localhost diskarbitrationd[92]: disk2s1 ntfs 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 Hypercube /Volumes/Hypercube
    Sep 23 16:59:17 localhost diskarbitrationd[92]: disk2s2 ntfs 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 64k /Volumes/64k
    Sep 23 16:59:27 localhost kernel: ntfs_procfixups: magic doesn't match: ffffffff != 454c4946
    Sep 23 16:59:27 localhost kernel: ntfs_loadntnode: BAD MFT RECORD 27
    Sep 23 16:59:27 localhost kernel: ntfs_findvattr: FAILED TO LOAD INO: 27

So from the looks of it it thinks it's a bad MasterFileTable - but it works just fine on my laptop and has for months. I'm thinking maybe it's one of 2 things - that the volume name starts with #'s? (Notice how it's called 64k?). Or the fact that it's got a block size of 64k? I store media on it so I wanted to optimize the space I'd get out of it so I pumped up the block size when I originally partitioned it. Oh, it is NTFS too if that matters - but so is the C drive.

Is this something I should take to the darwin guys someplace? AppleCare couldn't help - he wanted me to reformat it FAT32 - but of course I'm not the kind of guy that has backups ;-) and all I wanted to do was transfer the data - I'll do it over the network but @ 60gig I figured I'd save some time.

Ok, not to make the post too long I'll ask real quick too - how do I get my airport to start connected to my network? Every time it sleeps and comes back I have to manually click my network again.

oh, and what is the proper 'build' number to have for 10.3.5?

Thanks!
    Chris

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

First of all, Mac OS X can't write to NTFS drives - it sees them as read-only. It CAN write to FAT32 just fine.
    Secondly, check this thread for an answer to your AirPort question.
    For the answer to number 3, look at post #13 here.

3. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I can write to an NTFS drive via Windows sharing? Same thing?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Nope - two different things. What you're describing is a remote mount, which is exposed through SMB instead of a filesystem driver - Mac OS X doesn't even know the difference. What the original poster asked about is an NFTS local mount (i.e. an NTFS formatted hard disk physically connected to a Mac OS X system), which goes through a filesystem driver - but that driver only supports read operations.

5. nthcore thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the pointers.
    I'd be happy with read-only instead of kernel panics.
    Most of the data I wanted from that drive were my iTunes - but I found iPodRip which got them all back for me anyway.
    Guess I'll google down who to tell about the problems with the ntfs driver.