$10,000 for equipment, what would you buy?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by entatlrg, Apr 19, 2011.

1. macrumors 68040

entatlrg

If you had $10,000 to spend with Apple for your complete set up what items you buy and why?

Choosing from:

11, 13" MacBook Air
    13, 15, 17" MacBook Pro

Mac Pro
    iMac
    mini

iPhone
    iPad

2. macrumors 68040

Personally I wouldn't give Apple $10k.

They make nice products, but they certainly aren't worth constantly upgrading.

If you've already got a Mac Pro with dual ACDs, a top-spec 17" current MBP, and a top-spec current MBA, a current iPhone, a current top-spec Ipad 2, a TC, and a TV, why would you give another dime to Apple? There are no needs you could possibly have that aren't already met.

Assuming you are asking for advice on what redundant products to buy that you already have in their most current iterations, you're just wasting money very, very needlessly.

3. macrumors 6502a

if I had 10k to spend on tech stuff, I would buy all AV stuff. 10k would go a long way towards my home theater.

Maybe a loaded 15" mbp because I'm curious if I'd rather have a 15" instead of a 13" but not nearly enough to warrant serious thought for the next few years.

4. macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Hmm...given the options I'd take;

(all of these would be ultimate configurations)

27" iMac - ~$4,000
    15" MBP - ~$3,000
    64GB iPad ~$900
    32GB iPhone - $300

Since I'd have about $1,800 left over, I'd probably get a 13" Air too just for the hell of it.

The iPhone/iPad are essentials and would go with you all the time. You'd have both a communications device as well as, somewhat, suitable computer to bring along with you. The iPad would mainly be for traveling, entertainment device and overall general laziness.

iMac would be the "mothership" since it'll store all data and perform any heavy work that needed for whatever your job is.

15" MBP would be your main portable laptop. Lots of data storage, fast speed for when you need to do some real work.

The Air would simply be a backup to either the iPad or MBP in the event one of them failed. Would be redundant to have the Air when you have a MBP and iPad but, hey, gotta spend all the loot you can :)

5. macrumors 68040

the8thark

I would not willing give Apple 10K. But if I had to all at once, I'd get 27 inch imac BTO best specs, ipad 2, Logic Pro and FCPX when it's released. I'd get all that cause:

I like editing music
    I want to play with FCPX
    I've always owned all in one computers. So with the imac I'll feel right at home.
    And the ipad 2 sor something portable on the go.

I'd also play for some classes to get my Apple certs in Logic and basic troubleshooting. And a few Apple shares too. Just to round off to 10K. I know these are not Apple tech products per sé but all can be bought on the Apple Store still.

6. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

I would upgrade my iMac and my MBP and buy an iPad 2.

7. macrumors 603

Tomorrow

So I can't buy an iPod, any networking equipment, external drives, monitors, keyboards, or other accessories? :confused:

Right now my setup is a MacBook and an iMac. If I had to replace them, I'd probably get just a MacBook Pro with an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I don't need $10k worth of stuff all at once.

8. thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Of course it's not for me, look at my signature I'm all good for computers.

A buddy has a good problem, spend some money before corporate year end or pay it in tax ... meaning spending 10k at an Apple store has a raw cost to his company of about $4600 ... good time for him to switch from Dell's and Blackberry's and redo his office .... he asked me ... I asked here. Okay?

9. macrumors 601

eawmp1

What he should buy has less to do with how much he has to spend, but rather on what his needs are. Does he need a server, portability, etc. Does he need CPU/GPU power for high end graphics/video. Does he really need a new phone?

Without information on his needs, any advice you get is useless.

10. macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Buy $10,000 worth of iTunes cards then turn around and sell them all.

11. macrumors 68020

steviem

It probably would have helped to preface it with this...

I guess the main thing is, what is your buddy's business? What does he need to do with his IT equipment and what does he need to run to be able to get his work done?

Does he have somebody there for IT? Does he have any server infrastructure and does he have reliable backup policies?

12. macrumors 6502

rnelan7

That is a terrible problem, I hope I never have to face that :D

13. macrumors 65816

Mousse

If it's just for his office, then I'd go Mac Pro and 2 27" displays. Dual displays are much more productive than one huge (_!_) display.

If it were me, though, I'd share the wealth with my employees, so 15" MBP all around (make them productive even off company time;))

14. macrumors 6502a

Satori

I think the answer is right there in your signature my friend!

Seriously though, it would help us to provide suggestions if we knew his job, type of IT use, organisational details etc.

15. macrumors 68020

Hmm.... this is really interesting.
    I'd probably go with ....

1 17 inch MacBook Pro for home.
    1 13 inch MacBook Pro for when I'm off to class/out of the house.
    1 iPhone 5? Depending on how good it is. Currently I'm on the Android side as I feel the OS is more customizable...however if they do something drastically different with iOS I wouldn't have a problem switching.

16. macrumors 604

I'd buy a:

13" MacBook Air
    15" MacBook Pro
    An iPhone 5 when it comes out
    An airport extreme
    An iPad 2

Thats below $10,000 :D

17. macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Thinking about my office job right now, I'd likely invest in 2 high-end 27" iMacs for our main office computers, plus another 2 mid-range 21" iMacs for our other machines. Maybe Minis instead of the 21" iMacs.

If I were spending on my personal office, then it would be a 27" iMac + Cinema display, 11" MacBook Air, and 32GB iPad. :)

18. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I need two new iMacs to be the central computers for my home and work.

19. macrumors 68040

Should've clarified, there are a lot of people here who would and do blow that kind of money on Apple stuff in one fell swoop or throughout the year.

20. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Let's assume that I don't already have the 15" MBP that I want. ;)

If I had $10k, I would get a 15" MBP matte with HR screen. I'd also get an 11" MBA. I don't want anything else.

21. macrumors 604

But you've got 10k to spend on just Apple products all at once. Splash out the rest of it on other random Apple stuff cuz you can!

22. macrumors 65816

anim8or

Im seeing alot of responses with 2 portables...

Why?

If you have 10k to spend then surely getting an iMac for home use and a Macbook (or Pro or Air) for portability would be a better option??

I would spend the whole wack on a new Mac Pro with a MBA if there was any spare change! :D

23. macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'd probably go with a maxed out 17" MBP and a 64gb 3g iPad. The iPad would cover most of my portable needs, and when I need to do something that can't be done on the iPad the MBP is semi portable. Also I'd probably get a cinema display for the MBP, and I'm not sure exactly what I'd spend the rest on.

24. macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I would struggle to spend all that! I live with my gf and assuming I had no apple stuff before-

One 15" MBP (to share), two 32GB iPads, two iPhone 4s. (I'd probably add a time capsule, but it is not on the list).

Can't think what more would be needed really.

25. macrumors 604

But I've already got a brand new iMac... Meets all my performance needs easily. However my MBP is 2 years old, so I wanna new one (15") plus an air because the air is ....sexy!:eek: