10,000rpm hard drive for Intel Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by livingfortoday, May 15, 2006.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

So, I was looking at this Mac Mini mod:
    http://www.artmac.info/MacMiniSATAMod.html

Where a guy took a 3.5" SATA drive and used it with his Intel Mini, and I was wondering - if I did something like this, there'd be nothing stopping me from putting in a 10k Raptor instead of a regular 7,200rpm drive, right? Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on such an endeavor... thanks!

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

3. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Well, what he did was hook up a 7200rpm SATA drive through the Mini's SATA port, and then power it through the external case. I'm thinking of doing the same, only using a 10k rpm SATA drive. Just wondering what people thought of that, if it was feasible, or if it would even be worth it on a Mini.

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i see no reason why not, though i'm not sure it'd be worth it. i'd tend to go with the 150gb raptor (not the raptor x), because of a better $/gb
    (the raptor x is an even higher-performance version of the 150gb raptor)
    150gb raptor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822136012

5. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Dang, that's... pricey. I was thinking more along the lines of the 36.7GB one - since it's only $101 at newegg. I've got a lot of storage for now, just seein' if this idea would be feasible.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

All depends on whether you need a large drive, or you really need an extra 10+MB/sec of mechanical performance.

7. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

The only thing I can see is the extra heat, otherwise no problem ;)

8. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Awesome, I will consider it for a future mod, then. Whenever they release Merom chips that I can stick in this thing too!

9. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

wait whaa??? Theres hard drives faster than 7200rpm??????????????? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Why aren't they in the power macs?

10. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Because they're pricey, and they just finally came out with a 150GB SATA version of one. It's $274. So... yeah. You can get a lot more storage for that price, and 7200rpm is enough for most people.

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Not only that, they are HOT.
    And there's a misconception about performance: It isn't about RPM, it's about track density. THe performance you get from a 10,000 RPM drive is not 10/7 times the performance of a 7200 RPM.

In order to build a 10,000 RPM drive Western Digital made the diameter of the platters smaller - under 3" as opposed to about 3.25".

What happens is that during a given revolution of the platter, on the outside tracks more bits are passing under the heads on the larger platter than the smaller one, because the track is longer (perimeter) yet passes under the heads in the same length of time. This is why if you partition a drive the first partition of a hard drive (on the outside tracks) performs better than partitions on the inside tracks of the drive -- the inside ones have to take more spins of the platter to get the same data read.

So the Raptor spins at 10,000, but gives away some of its performance by having a smaller platter and starting at what would be 1/4 the way inside a full size drive. That's also why a 7200 RPM 2.5" laptop drive will never equal the performance of a 7200 RPM 3.5" desktop drive.

Two other ways to improve performance without changing the RPM is to increase the areal density of the platter (which is what Seagate and others are doing with perpendicular recording, which packs the bits closer) and by having more platters and more heads on the same drive, and interleaving the data between the heads.

For these reasons, you'll see the new, large (500 Gb) perpendicular recording 7200 RPM drives outperforming the 10,000 RPM Raptors soon.

12. Mernak macrumors 6502

i knew they made 10,000 RPM drives but i thought that their main use would be in servers that needed to access files fast. i suppose that you could mod a mini with it but to me that would seem like overkill, much better to get a 7200 thats much cheaper per gig, unless you really need it(who knows, you might be running a small server off a mini for all i know)

13. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

14. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

CanadaRAM - I did not know that, thanks. I was more curious if this was actually possible than looking to do it myself (I may still, though, just for the hell of it!), though I may have to start saving my pennies for a 750GB Seagate if they start significantly bridging the performance gap with the 10k's.

15. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

16. fradac macrumors regular

how about SAS?

hehe

there are actually drives running at 15K RPM with the same connector as SATA :)

i use them at work all the time. they are called SAS (Serial Attached SCSI).

i have run SATA drives all on the SAS controller (its backwards compatable)

what i haven't tried is using a SAS drive with the SATA controller. i can give it a try tomorrow and tell you guys the outcome.

also i even have a 2.5in SAS drive which is 10,000 RPM Sitting on mydesk :D it was an evaluation drive sent to us from seagate, but noone has been using it and i have had it for more than a year.

i found the drive on seagate website, this is the one

http://seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,694,00.html

17. retroneo macrumors 6502a

how did this go?

18. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

What is the difference in speed between scsi and sata?

19. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

No, it's the same drive, only it has a plexiglass viewport in it so you can see the platters and read arm.

20. joebells macrumors 6502

another thing is the raptor has lower seek times than alot of other drives out there and that can make a big difference. I have a raptor in my one windows machine and it really is nice, not a crazy huge difference but a somewhat noticeable one.

21. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

I have 2 10k Raptors (w/ an SATA card) in my sawtooth, and the speed difference is VERY noticable vs. my other 2 (7200 rpm) ATA/100 drives :p

22. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Same thing, I bought a 36GB cause i got it for a song used. While I noticed a small improvement, it was nothing to write home about, and to be honest, the harddrive makes these loud noises when accessing it, no its not dying, thats just the sound it makes :-/.

So anyway, to be honest, I'd just get a density-packed perpendicular drive for the mini and be done with it :D