10,000RPM HD!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iChan, Mar 3, 2004.

1. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

I Love a fast HD. I admit it, i am addicted.

ever since i replaced my 60GB Stock 4200RPM HD in my 12-inch PB with a 7K60E Hitachi trvelstar 7200RPM i have been longing for faster HD speeds.

I recently bought a new 15-inch PB. it came with a stock 4200RPM Drive again... The speed of the drive was immensly slow... shockingly so in fact. even with a 1.25 GHz G4 compared to the 867Mhz of the 12-incher, my new PB boots up a full 13 seconds slower than the 12-incher! i put this down to the POS HD.

I guess my question is, does anyone know there are going to be 10,000RPM laptop drives? I know they are available in 3.5" versions already and there are 2.5" SCSI 10,000RPM drives available for servers... but for laptop with a 80/100Gb capacity.

anyone got any info on these?

2. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

I doubt it. Just too much heat. 7200RPM's in laptops is already a huge leap (from 4200 anyway). I guess if your thinking bout WD's Raptor SATA drives...again, these are basically going to be desktop only for a long time (unless HD's suddenly can spin faster with no increase in heat).

3. renoir macrumors newbie

powerbook harddrive + power consumption

i am thinking about gettig a 7200 RPM HD for a 17" PB. My main concern is the added power it draws. Did you notice a drastic drop in battery life? was it worth any speed gains realized? what about overheating? is brand a concern?
    i saw some here
    http://www.transintl.com/store/category.cfm?Category=2436

4. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

there is no added power draw and no added heat. the 7200rpm hitachi drive is just as amazing as you can imagine - it actually runs cooler than 4200rpm drives because it will have to work less in transferring the same amount of data. i noticed this coolness when i exchanged my old tibook's stock 4200rpm drive to the hitachi 7k60 - and guess what, the fan hardly ever operates with the faster drive! with the slow one it was almost always on.

current draw is equal to 4200rpm drive, according to hitachi specs. faster drive just gets more idle time than the slow one.

5. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

10k rpm..ya not in laptop soon

Yes 10k rpm drives are way to hot for laptops, plus who wants their laptop to sound like an airplane? I am sure seagate and maxtor and all those good people are working on them as we speak, but still, wont be out for at least 2 years. I predict desktops will be switching to 10k as their average speed soon, and laptops will move up to 7200rpm for their average speed.

soon = a years, give or take.

6. iChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

iChan

cool, it is great to get everyone's general consenus on this subject. I guess I am going to buy another Hitachi 7K60E then. and then use my stock 80GB in a portable HD.

7. iChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

iChan

The 7200RPM really shows a marked difference in performance. as an earlier poster said, the rive has to spin less often, so the heat dissipation is next to minimal.

the new, almost x2 faster drive is actually way way quiter... There is no grinding noise whatsoever.... I can totally vouch for it.

8. iChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

iChan

By the way, if anyone is thinking about getting the 7K60 Travelstar, make sure you get the 'enhanced' version which is designed to work all day and night. This will come in handy if you ever wanted to download something over night or leave something rendering. basically it has a longer life and more capable to withstand contant abuse. I can't recommend it enough. Highly , Highly recommended. coupled with at least a GB of Ram and you have got one stinking fast machine. regardless of processor. (within reason, I'm talking at least g4-something here, not g4.)

9. loubapache macrumors member

10. neut macrumors 68000

neut

i hope these 7,200's make it into stock Macs.

I used to have a 10,000 in my dual G4 and now have a 17" PB with a 4,200. The difference isn't too bad. But if I throw in another 512 and a 7,200... im sure i could really feel the difference. But, does a few seconds make that much of a difference. OSX rarely needs rebooting and unless you're rendering that extra 3,000 rpm won't make much of a difference.

Still... it would be nice. :D

peace.