10.1.5 and iBooks

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jermsmingy, Jun 5, 2002.

1. jermsmingy macrumors regular

For those of you who have iBooks I just updated to 10.1.5 and in the energy saver you can now reduce the processor speed to help save your battery. Just thought ya'll might like to know that.

2. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Same with the powerbooks. You can reduce processor performance. Was this there in .1.4? I didn't notice it.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I never noticed it before, where do you find it? And how much difference would it actually make? Would you get minutes or hours of extra time out of a full battery charge?

4. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I don't know how much extra time it would give you, but it's under the energy saver in the control panel. Go to the 'Options' tab, and it's at the bottom there.

5. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

I get about 30-45 minutes longer battery life doing little things like browsing the web, listening to music, burning cds, etc.....

6. jermsmingy thread starter macrumors regular

Not in 10.1.4

I updated my girlfriends iBook last night and I realized I could do this. So I looked on my iBook and I couldn't do it. As soon as I updated to 10.1.5 I could reduce the processor speed. So it is a brand new feature. Now if they would only allow me to tell my computer to come on at a certain time and shut down at a certain time like I was able to in os 9 I will be completely happy!

7. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Another iBook (& others?) feature

put an Audio CD in and then press the Eject button. A big eject symbol comes up on screen similar to the brightness and volume controls. If you can see the symbol, you've held it down ong enough to open it.

8. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

The new options are not there for me on my 550MHz TiBook. What versions iBooks/PowerBooks are you all using?

9. jermsmingy thread starter macrumors regular

first generation iBook

My iBook is a 500mhz. The new option should be there. Make sure that you have all the latest software updates and that you are looking under the energy saver's options tab. It should be the last option.

10. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

yes.. what jermsmingy said... I remember these options were on my ti800 with 10.1.4 also..

11. jermsmingy thread starter macrumors regular

But not on my iBook with 10.1.4

That is so weird. Cause I tried in on my iBook with 10.1.4 and it didn't have that option. When I updated to 10.1.5 on my iBook I had the option. I thought that it was new that is why I posted this thread. All I can say is that maybe apple installed this feature on computers that shipped with 10.1.4 and the rest of us had to wait till 10.1.5 to get it. Who knows?

12. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Re: Another iBook (& others?) feature

OMG, I thought I was losing my mind - I wasn't sure if this was new or not. At any rate, has anyone found a way to turn it off? It annoys the heck out of me.

13. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Re: But not on my iBook with 10.1.4

I'll bet it's just that the PPC 7440 in the rev B TiBooks doesn't support this option. I triple-checked my Energy Saver prefs, and there is definitely nothing of the sort in there in 10.1.5, and there never has been in any other version of OS X, either. Processor cycling is an option, but only in OS 9. Anyone else with a rev A or B TiBook want to speak up?