10.1.5 Problems....

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by meta-ghost, Jun 5, 2002.

1. meta-ghost macrumors regular

My software update has not been so smooth...

After choosing 10.1.5 for the software update I don't get the typical horizontal bar telling me what is being installed. Instead, the window with the various possible updates remains with a message at the bottom that says "Status: Installing, restart required".
    Last night at home I figured the Apple server was busy and left the machine running. Seven hours later same message. I quit Software Update to try again and the same message. This is on a G4 450.

I go to work. G4 duel 500's. Same exact problem. No horizontal bar telling me what is happening. Now I find out I can't print from either machine.

I go to another machine in the office (which is new), no problems with the update.

Here is where I think the problem is. I bought and paid for 10.0 (and the 10.1 update) for home. In trying to convince the powers that be (in my office) that OS X was something we could use, I installed the same copy on my work machine. It was impossible at the time to get them to buy a copy. I have since been way too busy to sort it out and re-install a new copy. This will obviously be done shortly. It is on a total of two machines.

I don't need a lecture on ethics or stupidity. What I need is opinions on whether or not this could be it. I happen to have installed QT 6 preview on both machines the day before. Should I re-install 10.4?

2. Classic macrumors regular

This may be totally off base....

This may have absolutely nothing to do with your problem.... but here's something to consider.

Do you ever go into terminal and fool around without knowing exactly what you are doing?

I do, occasionally, it's not reccomended. In one of my forrays, I accidentally erased a tmp directory. It just so happened to be that the Software Update needed that directory to copy its file into before installing. So, naturally, it didn't work. My status bar did nothing.

So, it was simply a matter of creating a new tmp directory where needed, and the update worked fine.

Again, this may be completely unrelated. If you haven't been fooling around in Terminal, and there is no chance of you erasing that directory, then what I'm saying is meaningless.

Good luck.

3. meta-ghost thread starter macrumors regular

Fooled with the Terminal (without Terminal knowledge) at home, not on the machine at work.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I just updated my G4 at work to 10.1.5 without issue. I had originally put 10.0.4 onto it, and then updated it to 10.1 once the update was released. I kept it current through all the updates, and just went from 10.1.4 to 10.1.5 easily.

Without knowing what else you did to your two systems that won't update, it is rather difficult to trouble shoot them. I'd venture to say that when you went into the terminal and did your d*cking around, you messed something up that is preventing it from installing the update. You might have to go and reinstall OS X on both systems and then update.

Good reason to leave the terminal alone, unless you know what you are doing. :rolleyes:

5. meta-ghost thread starter macrumors regular

Installed the updates as they were issued through 10.1.4 on both. I did not mess with the Terminal on one of the machines. I do have various Beta software on both.

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Installing a single system onto multiple computers within the same network should have absolutely nothing to do with that. Were you good about installing all the previous updates beforehand?

7. meta-ghost thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, all the previous updates were installed as they were posted by Apple (including the Installer Update when it surfaced). These two machines are not even on the same network - home and work.

8. meta-ghost thread starter macrumors regular

So I'm getting ready to do a clean install with a 10.1.3 disk. Having not done this in OS X I'm assuming that my user Library and other application specific files will remain untouched. Is this correct?
    Thanks in advance.

9. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

same problem

I used software update and it just hung. Then it eventuly crashed. When I rebooted, I was now using OS 10.1.5 and things seemed strange and slower. It never told me that it was installing it or that it had finnished. I downloaded the 20MB installer from Apple and ran it. It ran like normal and when I re-booted everything was fine. Must be a bug with sotware update.

-evildead

10. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: same problem

I don't think it's a bug with software update, since I have run it both at home and work without issue. Probably something else going on with the systems that have problems using that for the update.

11. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

could be

I do have a lot of junk on my Mac. Some beta stuff too. But I think I didnt have anything running when I installed it. Only sshd, norton, and CiscoVPN (all in backgound) The ciscoVPN is beta for OSX.

12. meta-ghost thread starter macrumors regular

I've done a clean install and was able to update on both machines. In retrospect, the common link between them was the transparent dock app/Terminal string available on VersionTracker. It looked great not having the "bar" behind the icons but I think I'll stay away from these sorts of things in the future.

13. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: could be

I would suspect any/all beta software ,and/or mod, that wasn't released the same day, or since 10.1.5 was. Any beta software running in the background could easily cause the problems you experienced especially if running in the background.

I have zero beta apps running on either system, and no mods, and had zero problems running the updates. Starting to see a pattern here?? ;) :eek: :D

14. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I have the transparent dock mod too and my update to 10.1.5 went flawlessly, so I don't think that was the cause.

15. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Yeah..fine for me too...except every now and then, my logouts take ages with a blue screen and spinning cursor....and thats after a complete reformat as well...I dunno what thats about..

16. j763 macrumors 6502a

17. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Re: Re: could be

I'm using various beta releases and I'm also using TransparrentDock. No problems here.

I have to say that 10.1.5 is a great update (if you can get it to work :p). The ability to use Silk and vastly improved scrolling speeds make the whole system seem so much snappier.

Still slower than the Jagwire beta, mind you ;)

18. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Worked fine from here in the US... maybe there is an issue from other countries.

19. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Re: Re: Re: could be

beej how could you say that the jagwaur beta sucks it so unstable and it take 2 times as long to boot....... how could you say that

20. Dr_Floyd macrumors member

try it again

go into the /library/receipts folder and remove the osx10.1.5update.pkg and run the update again. This sounds like your update pakage is damaged in download